Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

Here is my experience. The first Gen 9mm pistols shot patterns, the .40 pistols were good by the standards of their time, and the 45's shot well by any standard.

Since then, we have Gen 5 Glocks that shoot HK and P series kind of groups. The 2.0 9mm pistols shoot better than the legacy M&P pistols but not in the same league with a Gen 5 Glock, hence my comment about needing a barrel. I haven't shot a 2.0 40 or 45, so no idea about them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is my experience. The first Gen 9mm pistols shot patterns, the .40 pistols were good by the standards of their time, and the 45's shot well by any standard.
    I can second this. I've had the following results all out of 1.0 variants:

M&9 9Pro: (It shot OK, I could keep almost every shot on a full size steel IPSC target at 50 yards hitting it at least somewhere but it was no bullseye pistol by any stretch. Not off a bench but in a class. I was ringing the steel about 14 out of 17 rounds at speed)

M&P 9FS: (similar to the Pro)

M&P 40: (Haven't shot it at distance or paper enough to know but seems plenty adequate)

M&P 40: w/factory S&W .357Sig barrel bought from Midway for $88 installed: (Freaking laser. Picking off fragments of clays on the back berm is, to put it simply, easy from a bench. About 30 yards.)

M&P45: (First M&P I bought. It was an early version, right after release and shot about equal to my SA TRP)

M&P 9 Shield (Sample of Two): Bought these 3-4 years apart, first one was probably in the first batch released without the thumb safety. Both shoot well as far as accuracy but an interesting factoid. My first one had a horrendous gritty and hard trigger. A local smith worked it over and got it down to just over 4lbs with a decent break and very good reset. Then I bought the wife a new one and hers was almost as good as the first one that had been worked. Accuracy is better than the FS & Pro on both samples. A friend and local LEO trainer related that some of his officers were pissed that they scored higher with their backups than with the FS duty issue guns.

I love the M&P platform but the accuracy of the larger 9mm variants have always been disappointing and somewhat perplexing as to why S&W wouldn't address it for so long. All of the other factors about them kept me interested though.

Any updates on the 10m M&P?

The real questions,

1. Can it RELIABLY handle full power 10mm. Like the 1400fps stuff? (Not that I would run that, but a 10mm should run ALL 10mm, not just the weak stuff. Lookin at you original Glock 20…)

2. Can I get a .40 conversation barrel and finally have gun gun that will reliably eat .40 long term?

I don’t need another caliber or a “bear gun”… but I am still intrigued.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The real questions,

1. Can it RELIABLY handle full power 10mm. Like the 1400fps stuff? (Not that I would run that, but a 10mm should run ALL 10mm, not just the weak stuff. Lookin at you original Glock 20…)

2. Can I get a .40 conversation barrel and finally have gun gun that will reliably eat .40 long term?

All good questions, hopefully to be answered by next summer. As soon as I get one, I will run Underwood Lehigh penetrator and assess function.

I feel pretty confident that the redesigned Gen 5 Glock MOS will hold up, as the slide is about three ounces heavier.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The real questions,

I didn’t know the G20’s failed. Was it just from the barrel and lack of case support or something else?

User Tag List