Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks for your report. Many of us have had two major concerns -- will the CORE system hold up to 10mm recoil, and will this pistol feed heavy loads. Your results are concerning on both!
    I would definitely use an aluminum plate. The included plate for the delta point pro is the only one that is aluminum. I was hoping the HST would work better. I might try some more later. Hotter 180 FMJ had no issues.

I got to handle a new 10, the longer barrel length one with a manual safety, at a shop in Bozeman yesterday. They have sold five, which is not surprising, as Montana along with Alaska, are very 10mm oriented places. Of the five, they sold four long barrel and one of the shorter barrel ones, which again is not surprising as most people believe longer barrel handguns are more powerful, and these are field use pistols.

I think Smith made a mistake by not offering a traditional sight model. First, most people will run these with iron sights in the field, and two, I have concerns about the CORE system holding up to 10mm. I would much rather direct mill a slide for an Acro.

Apparently someone with knowledge from Sig said there will be a 10mm 320 announced soon.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Seems pistol optics are on the front burner as evidenced by firearms manufacturers making them OEM and outside companies offering this service. I am not a fan of the tall sights on the optic mounted pistols, but I understand why they are there.......functional but ugly. Perhaps in an effort to bring the price down, Smith will offer non-optic pistols to the shooting public. Who knew they would bring out a 10mm M&P in the first place?

I was perusing some YT vids on the M&P 10, since I saw some chatter about reliability issues with heavy ammo. This reviewer was having issues with 200 grain PMC ball, then he got hit in the head by what he thought was a piece of brass. Turns out it was his optic that bonked him -- good thing he had a warm winter hat on! You can't make this stuff up.

I was perusing some YT vids on the M&P 10, since I saw some chatter about reliability issues with heavy ammo.
    How 'bout that? It's almost like if you take a gun built to be a .45 and put 10mm holes in it instead, it won't run right.

10mm Sig 320: It'll Be Different This Time™?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    How 'bout that? It's almost like if you take a gun built to be a .45 and put 10mm holes in it instead, it won't run right.

10mm Sig 320: It'll Be Different This Time™?
    I agree, that it is difficult to build a 10mm service pistol that functions with the wide range of 10mm ammo, and especially with higher PF heavy loads. Hopefully Sig gets this, and develops an upper that does better than some other pistols in this caliber. I don't see much magic in the lower or FCU, but the magazines and slide/barrel/RSA need to be thought out. It would be cool if they got with Wilson and developed a 320 specific 10mm Lehigh load that functioned and penetrated.

I was perusing some YT vids on the M&P 10, since I saw some chatter about reliability issues with heavy ammo. This reviewer was having issues with 200 grain PMC ball, then he got hit in the head by what he thought was a piece of brass. Turns out it was his optic that bonked him -- good thing he had a warm winter hat on! You can't make this stuff up.
    Not surprising. Did you see anything to pinpoint what the problem might be? My M&P 40 runs like the Energizer bunny until I drop the factory S&W .357 Sig barrel in it. Then it'll run good for around 3 to 4 mags then start choking. The extractor isn't strong enough to extract .357 Sig unless the chamber is nice and clean. Unless they changed extractor geometry/dimensions/tension or some combination thereof I could totally see see problems. It just doesn't care if I clean it at all with the .40 barrel in it but with the higher pressure of the Sig it sure does and .357 Sig is just 10mm brass, shorter and bottlenecked. If they have beefed up the extractor I'm wondering if it'll fit my .40 or if one of the new springs might fix it.

M and p 10

My five inch 40 m and p runs a 200 cast at a bit over a thousand. I have several five gallon buckets of brass. The gun has never malfunctioned after five thousand rounds. Why do I need a centimeter? I do have a 10 mm 1911 that I’m working to get it reliable. The m and p goes on winter hikes because of wolves. If a grizzly is awake and wandering the 40 will work just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    My five inch 40 m and p runs a 200 cast at a bit over a thousand.
    I thought I was the only one running 200s in a 5 inch MP 40. I carry Underwood 200gr 40s and load 200 gr cast for practice.

I was planning on a 10mm but from what I have seen so far I will be sticking to the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank500 View Post
    My five inch 40 m and p runs a 200 cast at a bit over a thousand. I have several five gallon buckets of brass. The gun has never malfunctioned after five thousand rounds. Why do I need a centimeter? I do have a 10 mm 1911 that I’m working to get it reliable. The m and p goes on winter hikes because of wolves. If a grizzly is awake and wandering the 40 will work just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I thought I was the only one running 200s in a 5 inch MP 40. I carry Underwood 200gr 40s and load 200 gr cast for practice.

I was planning on a 10mm but from what I have seen so far I will be sticking to the 40s.
    I went through three Glock 20s and thousands of rounds of ammo. Every time I would try to push a 200 grain bullet over about 1050 fps, I would start to see failures. It wasn’t huge, about a 2% to 3% failure to feed but it was toomuch.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List