Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

After spending a few thousands on various 10mm ammo including the XP while testing my glocks I finally gave up and sold my 10mm glock stuff. I think @Clusterfrack is correct about the magazine springs; however, I don't think I want to go down this rabbit hole again to test and verify it. A few hundred rds through such a heavily modified pistol may be not a sufficient sample to draw a conclusion. IMHO... I really hope SW will make a better pistol.

At this point, doesn’t it just make more sense to just scoop up an M&P 40 and stuff it with LeHigh Xtreme Penetrators?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    At this point, doesn’t it just make more sense to just scoop up an M&P 40 and stuff it with LeHigh Xtreme Penetrators?
    Don't know about the new M&P, but with Glocks that is exactly what I have done with the 23 MOS field pistol project. The .40 Underwood Lehigh is 140 grains at 1,250 fps vs 140 at 1,500 with the 10mm. I think 1,250 fps is enough velocity to penetrate while being more in the envelope of reliable pistol functioning.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't know about the new M&P, but with Glocks that is exactly what I have done with the 23 MOS field pistol project. The .40 Underwood Lehigh is 140 grains at 1,250 fps vs 140 at 1,500 with the 10mm. I think 1,250 fps is enough velocity to penetrate while being more in the envelope of reliable pistol functioning.
    This makes a lot of sense. And for me, there's a lot of attraction to just loading 9mm XP in my EDC carry gun and counting on a decisive headshot to solve the grizzly problem. The thing that keeps me coming back to my modded G20 is being able to shoot 200gr hardcast, and the (admittedly uneducated) hope of a body shot slowing a grizzly down enough to stop an attack.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Yeah, that is what I did as well. I just picked up a basically new P229 in 40SW. I shoot it so well that I see no reason for 10mm even if it works with bear loads. I have a lot of Lehigh XT bullets left from my 10mm exploration. I reload 40sw for my competition guns all the time. There's no way I can practice 10mm enough compared to my 40SW competition guns that I shoot a lot.

I am looking forward to this new M&P as much for clues about the development of the M&P line, as for a 10mm.

I have been competing with a 5 inch CORE with a FSS trigger and Apex barrel. Even though it would make sense to carry a M&P, the Glock is better for me right now. This is what I don't like about the M&P for carry. It really needs an after market barrel and trigger. Holsters for use with a TLR-7 are not common. The optics system isn't best of class. The BUIS are sharp! I hope they address barrel, trigger and optics with the 10 or other variants.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Are manual thumb safeties still available on the M&P?
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Well, they're still cataloged. Whether they're in production is a good question. My two 1.0 M&P45s have them.
    I did a search on an example SKU13144 and it looks like there are plenty of them out in the wild:
    Name:  MP TS.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  59.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    FWIW, I just received a promo stand for the M&P 10mm.atalk-cdn.com/20211103/432a7f7dcd0bd0ec02ef31cb8a4a19c4.jpg[/IMG]
    Well I guess that takes it past the rumor stage!
    This is another one of those things I want and don't need...
    I have always thought the cartridge is cool so that is probably reason enough. If it is a 4.5-5" gun like the 45 then I will want a conversion barrel so I can shoot up a bunch of forty, never mind that I have a perfectly good forty gun that I don't shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am looking forward to this new M&P as much for clues about the development of the M&P line, as for a 10mm.

I have been competing with a 5 inch CORE with a FSS trigger and Apex barrel. Even though it would make sense to carry a M&P, the Glock is better for me right now. This is what I don't like about the M&P for carry. It really needs an after market barrel and trigger. Holsters for use with a TLR-7 are not common. The optics system isn't best of class. The BUIS are sharp! I hope they address barrel, trigger and optics with the 10 or other variants.
    I was under the impression that .40 and .45 variants of M&P weren’t in need of a barrel swap. Have there been reports of poorly performing M&P40s?

I was under the impression that .40 and .45 variants of M&P weren’t in need of a barrel swap. Have there been reports of poorly performing M&P40s?
    At least with the .45s, I have read that the factory barrel accuracy puts some custom 1911s to shame, but I can't shoot mine well enough to tell. The 40s I dont know, but all issues I've ever heard have been with 9mm.

User Tag List