Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Sourcing forgings overseas is an economic / price point issue, not a technical capability issue.

It's not that they (or SA) couldn't make make the forgings, it's that it would cost too much for them to do it.

Gun companies exist to make money, not guns, and a $2,000 1006 is not a money maker.
    I agree that a $2,000 1006 isn't a good idea. I'm just not sure I agree it would have to cost $2,000; the presence of Sig Legions, Springfield SA-35s/Mil-Specs, SW1911s, CZ-97s, Beretta 92Xs and others at far below that suggests, to me, it could be done for less.

I feel the 10mm is an "aspirational" caliber in search of a gun with a soul. I just don't think a plastic M&P is that gun. And if you really need a 10mm for the back country, more utilitarian options already exist. But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the thing will sell like crazy.

All that said...

A steel-framed M&P (a la Sig AXG & Walther Q4 SF) in 10mm would get me excited.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I agree that a $2,000 1006 isn't a good idea. I'm just not sure I agree it would have to cost $2,000; the presence of Sig Legions, Springfield SA-35s/Mil-Specs, SW1911s, CZ-97s, Beretta 92Xs and others at far below that suggests, to me, it could be done for less.

I feel the 10mm is an "aspirational" caliber in search of a gun with a soul. I just don't think a plastic M&P is that gun. And if you really need a 10mm for the back country, more utilitarian options already exist. But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the thing will sell like crazy.

All that said...

A steel-framed M&P (a la Sig AXG & Walther Q4 SF) in 10mm would get me excited.
    How is another plastic fantastic in 10mm not utilitarian? The M&P45 is probably the most utilitarian .45 in production.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    How is another plastic fantastic in 10mm not utilitarian? The M&P45 is probably the most utilitarian .45 in production.
    I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't. I was suggesting that other utilitarian options already exist (e.g., G29 & G20) so there's not really a point to Smith introducing more of the same, to the same segment.

I sold off all my M&P's and don't have a need for a 10mm, so put me down for two M&P10's. Assuming they eat the hot stuff.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I sold off all my M&P's and don't have a need for a 10mm, so put me down for two M&P10's. Assuming they eat the hot stuff.
    Why would they?

If you are S&W are you going to engineer the gun around $2 to $3 per round ammo no one actually shoots or regular 10mm FMJ from BassCabelas or Academy shot by 99% of 10mm owners ?

If you set it up from the factory for hot stuff at the expense of reliability with standard 10mm you are setting your self up for large numbers of unnecessary customer service claims which cut into your profits. Since gun companies exist to make money why would that do that ?

Other than the HK USP 45 series ability to work with 45acp through 45 Super what other semi auto works with both ?

S&W M&P 10 MM

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Has this rumor been validated anywhere?
    FWIW, I just received a promo stand for the M&P 10mm.

Last edited by echo5charlie; 11-03-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Are manual thumb safeties still available on the M&P?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Are manual thumb safeties still available on the M&P?
    Well, they're still cataloged. Whether they're in production is a good question. My two 1.0 M&P45s have them.

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't. I was suggesting that other utilitarian options already exist (e.g., G29 & G20) so there's not really a point to Smith introducing more of the same, to the same segment.
    Except there is a segment for whom the N-frame Glocks do not work, and prefer the M&P ergos. The M&P 45 has a rep for being a solid accurate gun that handles 45 better than most. If that translates over to 10mm, I could see a lot of folk who like the 10 being interested.

And that's before you get to aftermarket things like APEX triggers, with the FSS and the like, that you cannot effectively replicate on the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Well, they're still cataloged. Whether they're in production is a good question. My two 1.0 M&P45s have them.
    There are still the parts available to convert to safety's from multiple vendors(including Smith themselves last I checked), so it shouldn't be hard to convert if need be.
    But I have seen both available on local gun store shelves recently, so I wouldn't see why they wouldn't offer it on this model.

User Tag List