Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: NYSRPA v. Bruen Oral Argument

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I suspect the language in this footnote would allow State A to say we have room to establish our particular standards for determining whether a resident is a sufficiently law abiding, responsible citizen; if State B’s standards aren’t as rigorous we have no obligation to be bound by what State B determines.

But I could very well be wrong. Could the full faith and credit clause come into play? I’m guessing no, but I haven’t dug into it. In another context, could State A make it illegal to drive in State A with a valid license from State B if State B doesn’t require a written test?
    Illinois already does this....

https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf (PDF will open)

Non-Resident Permit
    NON-RESIDENTS
    In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry
    License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin.
    Code 1231.10.

Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm

ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license
    under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as
    additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for
    non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

1.Arkansas2.Idaho3.Mississippi4.Nevada5.Texas6.Virginia
    You can see the Illinois State Police Listing of these states and the Criteria they useHere.

Note:
    Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for
    an Illinois Non-Resident Permit.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Illinois already does this....

https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf (PDF will open)
    1.Arkansas2.Idaho3.Mississippi4.Nevada5.Texas6.Virginia
    That's interesting, I didn't know TX was on the potential list there. Note that it's not full reciprocity, though. A TX LTC is not actually valid, you're just eligible to apply for an IL permit.

My understanding is that TX reciprocity has essentially two components:
    1. The other state's requirements need to be comparable or more stringent than TX's requirements.
    2. The other state has to be willing to recognize a TX LTC.

So even though a state may have more stringent requirements (CA, etc.) than TX, TX won't recognize their permits if they don't recognize TX LTCs. And many other states are the same way. TX doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with WA, for example. TX requirements are greater than WA requirements, so in principle WA would recognize a TX LTC, but WA doesn't have a class or skills demonstration requirement, so TX doesn't recognize a WA CPL and WA does not recognize a TX LTC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I suspect the language in this footnote would allow State A to say we have room to establish our particular standards for determining whether a resident is a sufficiently law abiding, responsible citizen; if State B’s standards aren’t as rigorous we have no obligation to be bound by what State B determines.
    NM revoked its reciprocity with LA because they said our marksmanship qual didn't meet their standards.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    NM revoked its reciprocity with LA because they said our marksmanship qual didn't meet their standards.
    They may have a point. New Mexico has pretty high standards.

could State A make it illegal to drive in State A with a valid license from State B if State B doesn’t require a written test?
    Yes, driver licenses reciprocity is covered under an agreement among the states through the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. It covers all the requirements for each state that is in the agreement. Not all states participate.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know TX was on the potential list there. Note that it's not full reciprocity, though. A TX LTC is not actually valid, you're just eligible to apply for an IL permit.

1. The other state's requirements need to be comparable or more stringent than TX's requirements.

So even though a state may have more stringent requirements (CA, etc.) than TX, TX won't recognize their permits if they don't recognize TX LTCs. And many other states are the same way. TX doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with WA, for example. TX requirements are greater than WA requirements, so in principle WA would recognize a TX LTC, but WA doesn't have a class or skills demonstration requirement, so TX doesn't recognize a WA CPL and WA does not recognize a TX LTC.
    I'm fairly certain that Texas recognizes all other state permits, including non resident permits held by non residents of the state issuing the permit.

I'm less certain (but still fairly certain ) that the Illinois recognition of a Texas permit as qualifying for the permit holder to apply for an Illinois permit has to do with the requirements of obtaining a Texas permit.

ETA.... Correcting myself... Texas honors all permits where a background check is required to obtain the permit.
    We honor NY, CA, WA..... But not VT, etc.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes, driver licenses reciprocity is covered under an agreement among the states through the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. It covers all the requirements for each state that is in the agreement. Not all states participate.
    So where is it illegal to drive in State A with a driver's license from State B?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Texas recognizes California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Washington; none of whom recognize Texas LTCs.

Washington doesn't recognize Texas because Texas issues licenses to 18-20 year olds if they're active-duty or veterans, and Washington doesn't like anyone under 21. I'm guessing they think it's too difficult or something for Washington LE to look at the birthday on a license to see if the licensee is 21+ and therefore legal to carry in Washington. It's annoying because I've had a Washington license for almost 20 years now, and therefore I need to time my visits there to match up with renewals, since they don't do mail-in renewals.

I will note that Washington does recognize Idaho enhanced licenses (21+ only) and doesn't recognize Idaho standard licenses (18+), so apparently if it's a legally distinct license from the same state, then that satisfies them. Last I checked there's two or three other states that don't recognize Texas LTCs for the same reason, so the Texas Legislature could fix the issue with those states by tweaking our laws a bit to make 18-20 LTCs different from 21+ LTCs.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    We honor NY, CA, WA..... But not VT, etc.
    Fun fact, no one honors VT permits. Not even VT.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post

Washington doesn't recognize Texas because Texas issues licenses to 18-20 year olds if they're active-duty or veterans, and Washington doesn't like anyone under 21. I'm guessing they think it's too difficult or something for Washington LE to look at the birthday on a license to see if the licensee is 21+ and therefore legal to carry in Washington. It's annoying because I've had a Washington license for almost 20 years now, and therefore I need to time my visits there to match up with renewals, since they don't do mail-in renewals.
    Some Washington counties are doing online renewals (not sure about transferring from one county or city to another...)

https://snohomishwa.permitium.com/ccw/start

Another option would get be to get a Utah license. I live in Washington and have a Utah permit -- very easy to deal with and renew. I do believe that Utah is good in WA.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Some Washington counties are doing online renewals (not sure about transferring from one county or city to another...)

https://snohomishwa.permitium.com/ccw/start

Another option would get be to get a Utah license. I live in Washington and have a Utah permit -- very easy to deal with and renew. I do believe that Utah is good in WA.
    Thanks. My permit is from Snohomish, so I'll probably be using that link next year when my license expires. A non-resident Utah permit was my backup plan, but that would've meant taking a class from a Utah-licensed instructor, which is another annoyance.

What would really be nice is a way to get a non-resident Idaho enhanced permit by mail, because I'd get Minnesota in addition to Washington. AFAIK that's not possible though.

User Tag List