Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: NYSRPA v. Bruen Oral Argument

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    So, not having read the entire opinion, and even if I did I most likely wouldn't understand most of it;

WRT the interpretation based on history; could someone go after the GCA or NFA now and succeed? Have they been in place long enough to be considered historical?

Thanks
    There have been some lower court judges, particularly in the 9th Circuit, who correctly identified Heller’s text and tradition standard as the appropriate standard of review and applied that standard in their writings. The argument made there was that a state couldn’t simply call a prohibition it put in place in the 1990s a longstanding, traditional regulation.

Justice Thomas’s review gave the most weight to historical regulations immediately prior to the Revolution and those shortly after, with some deference to those which came in the 19th century. A mere handful of examples of regulation is inconsistent with a deeply rooted tradition. As I recall, we don’t start seeing regulation of the type of firearm until the 1920s, and those (targeted at machine guns) sometimes stopped short of a total ban and appeared to target their use in crimes of violence; the first true magazine ban doesn’t appear until 1990, though there are some regulations from Michigan, Rhode Island, Ohio, and Washington, D.C. dating back to the mid-1920s (limiting weapons with a “firing capacity” beyond a certain number of rounds), but those are not perfect analogues. My suspicion, given a faithful following of Justice Thomas’s opinion, is that the NFA regulations are at least in play. However, I would not call an attack against it a slam dunk. I think magazine bans and AWBs are far easier fodder given this new ruling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    So, not having read the entire opinion, and even if I did I most likely wouldn't understand most of it;

WRT the interpretation based on history; could someone go after the GCA or NFA now and succeed? Have they been in place long enough to be considered historical?

Thanks
    Perhaps parts of them, but constitutional challenges still have to be brought by a plaintiff claiming some constitutionally-protected conduct that is harmed by the challenged government regulation. There often isn't an easy way to challenge large, multi-faceted statutes on constitutional grounds. The only way to usually do that is to challenge a critical piece of the statutory scheme that the Court might find isn't "severable" from the rest of the statutory scheme, so the entire thing gets struck down.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the entire NFA/GCA getting struck down anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath on the entire NFA/GCA getting struck down anytime soon.
    Do you have an opinion on the decision vs magazine restrictions, eg. CA, WA, or CO?

Just curious, when you feel up to it, and thanks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Do you have an opinion on the decision vs magazine restrictions, eg. CA, WA, or CO?

Just curious, when you feel up to it, and thanks.
    We have mag ban challenges from NJ and CA currently pending before the Court. They'll hopefully grant, vacate, and remand those cases tomorrow for an opinion from the lower court consistent with Bruen (this is their normal practice when there are pending cert petitions before them that are impacted by a decision they issue).

We have mag ban challenges from NJ and CA currently pending before the Court. They'll hopefully grant, vacate, and remand those cases tomorrow for an opinion from the lower court consistent with Bruen (this is their normal practice when there are pending cert petitions before them that are impacted by a decision they issue).
    Awesome. That’s sort of what I remember you saying some time ago, but I really appreciate the clarification Josh.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Pretty please? From CT with love.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As well as the assault weapon ban challenge? Based on Thomas's writing on what constitutes a bearable arm - what impact do you see this victory having on it?

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    and from NY State today...... More litigation fodder....

NY Gov. Hochul previews gun bill, with legal gun ban, restrictions, in response to Supreme Court’s concealed carrying ruling

Clips....

The deal — which will bar guns from being brought into government buildings, schools, subways and buses, medical facilities and more
    strengthen background checks and add 15 hours of in-person training
    Universal ban on carry in businesses... unless....
    Business owners will have to explicitly state that they allow concealed weapons on their property, most likely with a sign indicating that gun-toting patrons are welcome.
    Firearm storage requirements in homes and vehicles will also be strengthened under the new laws, which Hochul said will stand up to any additional legal challenges.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Here's an update on laws that the NY Governor is going to ban concealed carry if she can pass the law through the legislature: Summarized from: from https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/gov-ka...ive-locations/:

The list of sensitive locations includes:
    • Federal, state and local government buildings
    • Health and medical facilities
    • Places where children gather such as daycares, parks, zoos and playgrounds
    • Public transportation including subways and buses
    • Polling sites
    • Educational institutions
    • All private businesses unless they have a sign that specifically says firearms welcomed.

"Governor Hochul also insisted she wants to ensure concealed carry isn’t a “default” position for private businesses.

“The presumption in the state of New York, after we sign this bill into law, will be the presumption that private property owners will not want to have concealed carry weapons on their premises,” she explained.

If a private business wants to allow firearms, the onus will need to be on them to display a sign that says “concealed carry weapons welcome here,” Governor Hochul said."

This pretty much guarantees that you can't go anywhere with your concealed carried handgun, and if you leave it locked in a car and get caught or the gun gets stolen you will lose your handgun permit and have all handguns that you own confiscated. Further, I believe there is a provision in the NY SAFE act that specifies that if the state cancels any firearm permit you will lose all of your firearms including long guns that can be owned without a permit.

User Tag List