Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: NYSRPA v. Bruen Oral Argument

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    It has always astonished me that the historical connection between gun control and racism isn't more widely discussed.
    Especially since the push for more gun control as practiced is in reality little more than an attack vector in the culture war against those people.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It's so strange that the 2nd is the only Constitutional Amendment that does not have 50 state reciprocity.

At what point can NY make the process so onerous that it falls into the definition of "disenfranchisement"?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I would suggest that the appropriate response to that is to point out that "let's defy the Court" is the same argument that was taken up by the segregationists after Brown v. Board of Ed. and Heart of Atlanta Motel v. U.S.. If Hochul wants to make common cause with some of the worst people in modern American history, then she can don those robes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    It has always astonished me that the historical connection between gun control and racism isn't more widely discussed.
    Racism and classism. The retired editor of my local bird-cage liner sniffed in one of his pieces that working/poor people have better things to spend their money on than guns. The "Saturday Night Special" debate of fifty years ago was about making sure that guns were too expensive for the poor to own.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I sent a polite note to the US Army Corps of Engineers asking whether they would be revisiting their non-adoption of rules allowing carry on Corps properties, in light of today's decision.

Seems like low hanging fruit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Racism and classism. The retired editor of my local bird-cage liner sniffed in one of his pieces that working/poor people have better things to spend their money on than guns. The "Saturday Night Special" debate of fifty years ago was about making sure that guns were too expensive for the poor to own.
    It’s insane.

I thought about how to phrase this to someone in a hypothetical situation about why the 2A exists and should exist to prevent tyranny. I mean in our country we’ve had slavery and segregation of African Americans, genocide committed against natives, imprisoned an entire race after Pearl Harbor, Jim Crowe laws around gun control, etc., we’ve got such a track record of isolating, disarming, and doing not great things to people.

I guess that’s what always surprises me when folks go “that’d never happen”. It’s a fail-safe and I’m proud of Clarence Thomas and the other justices. We’ll see how this goes - because to be honest with you. The laws that matter are the laws that are enforced. I’m proud of the USSC for today’s decision, but I don’t see Biden or other members of the executive branch enforcing this new liberty while they’re about to release an opinion banning pistol braces, etc.

I read about Juneteenth this week and it is honestly the evidence that - although slavery was outlawed. Men (armed men ironically) were required to finalize the liberation of Africans in remote pieces of Texas it seems (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth).

I say seems because I’m not hugely familiar with the detailed history of the event and figured leave some gray room.

ETA: It was also armed men (National Guard) that deployed to the South in support of de-segregation under JFK.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    ETA: It was also armed men (National Guard) that deployed to the South in support of de-segregation under JFK.
    This is a fantastic essay. Makes the point that without the armed civilians walking along beside, the non-violent protesters would likely have been a lot less successful.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/10...or-gun-rights/
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Hmm, reciprocity - that's an interesting issue. Outside the home stops at your state line? I do remember when Senator Cornyn was so sure that reciprocity would come up during the first two years of the Orange Age.
    Cornyn was the guy that successfully advocated for separating national CC reciprocity from (I forget what anti gun bill was attached to it and ultimately passed) in 2015. Then he had the balls to introduce a separate CC reciprocity bill that he absolutely had to know was destined to go nowhere.

Insert your favorite curse word here..... --> ____________ Cornyn
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Cornyn was the guy that successfully advocated for separating national CC reciprocity from (I forget what anti gun bill was attached to it and ultimately passed) in 2015. Then he had the balls to introduce a separate CC reciprocity bill that he absolutely had to know was destined to go nowhere.

Insert your favorite curse word here..... --> ____________ Cornyn
    What does it take to get him primaried?
    Not another dime.

"...the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding..."

Thomas is quoting Heller here. Not that it doesn't bear repeating...

Some said that this day would never come. It's not the end, but it's a great start.

Site Supporter
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 06-23-2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Edited to remove duplicate
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List