Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: NYSRPA v. Bruen Oral Argument

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thomas slaughtering a lot of sacred cows is wonderful....

2A extends to modern arms...... p25
    Emphasis mine.
    The story gets better. In this instance, I don't think any of us mind another spoiling the plot before we have read the book so to speak.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Article on sensitive places and that will be the next 'battle' ground:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...w-york/661364/

I am going to a shotgun/pistol match now. Got my old Winchester Defender packed up and raring to go. Have at it.

Emphasis mine.
    I love that man. We are lucky to have him around.

Name:  1BFE13CA-AFAB-4697-82A6-2343FEC5545A.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  31.5 KB
    #RESIST

Emphasis mine.
    Hopefully we can finally put to bed the "only muskets" argument, unless an anti gunner wants to argue the 1st Amendment only protects expression with quill pens and a Gutenberg Press like in the 1700's.

We can now look forward to all the creative ways NYC will try to "regulate" the right into nonexistence. Remember Chicago's attempt to require training while banning training?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd like to have one of my LTCs be valid in CA when visiting friends, family, mountain lions, and bears, too.
    This is going to be a sticking point. Reciprocity isn't across-the-board even in shall-issue states. For example, when I went to visit my son last year in Nevada, my Louisiana permit wasn't valid while I traveled through New Mexico. I can see NY and other currently may-issue states coming up with requirements that can't be met by folks with permits from other states, like requiring a course of fire that no other state uses. Shoot, New Jersey LE goes out of its way to hassle other cops in conscious violation of Federal law, imagine what they'll do to private citizens.

Site Supporter
    Thomas' rebuttal of NY's "historical evidence" (my words) is a bit of a slog to read, but, he seems to have done so meticulously.

Of particular interest, he acknowledges the existence of a Texas law as being analogous to the NY law at hand, then says, my words/interpretation again... "but we won't be held to that standard because we cannot find any other such laws and one similar law is insufficient proof of proper historical intent"...

Summary, page 68.

At the end of this long journey through the Anglo-American history of public carry, we conclude that respondents have not met their burden to identify an American tradition justifying the State’s proper-cause requirement. The Second Amendment guaranteed to “all Americans” the right to bear commonly used arms in public subject to certain reasonable, well-defined restrictions. Heller, 554 U. S., at 581. Those restrictions, for example, limited the intent for which one could carry arms, the manner by which one carried arms, or the exceptional circumstances under which one could not carry arms, such as before justices of the peace and other government officials. Apart from a few late-19thcentury outlier jurisdictions, American governments simply have not broadly prohibited the public carry of commonly used firearms for personal defense. Nor, subject to a few late-in-time outliers, have American governments required law-abiding, responsible citizens to “demonstrate a special need for self-protection distinguishable from that of the general community” in order to carry arms in public. Klenosky, 75 App. Div., at 793, 428 N. Y. S. 2d, at 257.
    ETA.... and... p69

New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment in that it prevents law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms. We therefore reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

It is so ordered
    Page 70 begins Alitos' concurring opinion... Going to take a break and get some work done... at least try to...

What a great day for Liberty.!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Meanwhile, at NRA headquarters:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...iemiradzki.jpg

This is why Josh isn't chiming in. He's too busy celebrating.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I love that man. We are lucky to have him around.

Name:  1BFE13CA-AFAB-4697-82A6-2343FEC5545A.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  31.5 KB
    Me too man. Me too.

God Bless that man.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Meanwhile the NY governor is still promising to try and deny people their rights as outlined in the decision.
    I would suggest that the appropriate response to that is to point out that "let's defy the Court" is the same argument that was taken up by the segregationists after Brown v. Board of Ed. and Heart of Atlanta Motel v. U.S.. If Hochul wants to make common cause with some of the worst people in modern American history, then she can don those robes.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I would suggest that the appropriate response to that is to point out that "let's defy the Court" is the same argument that was taken up by the segregationists after Brown v. Board of Ed. and Heart of Atlanta Motel v. U.S.. If Hochul wants to make common cause with some of the worst people in modern American history, then she can don those robes.
    It has always astonished me that the historical connection between gun control and racism isn't more widely discussed.

User Tag List