Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: NYSRPA v. Bruen Oral Argument

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ditto on that. Reading the apocalyptic blood on the streets columns from the NY Post and Times - OMG!
    I am reminded that one of the identity-level bases of Leftism is a fundamental distrust of one's fellow citizens to be capable of conducting themselves appropriately.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It looks like sensitive places will need to hashed out through the courts.

We therefore can assume it settled that
    these locations were “sensitive places” where arms carrying
    could be prohibited consistent with the Second Amend-
    ment. And courts can use analogies to those historical reg-
    ulations of “sensitive places” to determine that modern reg-
    ulationsprohibitingthecarryoffirearmsinnewand
    analogous sensitive places are constitutionally permissible
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I am reminded that one of the identity-level bases of Leftism is a fundamental distrust of one's fellow citizens to be capable of conducting themselves appropriately.
    Not to divert but that is the principle of both left and right extremes. The sex police of the right and gun police of the left come to mind. No guns, no birth control - fine with the extreme nuts.

Not to divert but that is the principle of both left and right extremes. The sex police of the right and gun police of the left come to mind. No guns, no birth control - fine with the extreme nuts.
    Close counts in horseshoes, I guess.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    @joshs When NY tells me I'm not eligible for a NY carry license because I'm not a resident and my TX license is insufficient to allow me to carry in NY, I would like to volunteer to be the plaintiff for the next case.... Guaranteeing that all States are required to honor the 2A rights of all citizens, regardless of the location of their primary domicile....

I have relatives I'd like to visit, without being disarmed by the State of NY.

Please let me know where I should submit my CV?

Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So for the legal folks - how will this become operative (back to lower courts, legislature) and what will be the attempts to thwart 'easy' shall issue carry? That's the next step.
    The opinion with the dissent is 135 pages long. Plan to read it this weekend. Until people have time to read and think about the opinion, it will be hard to provide a meaningful response. But, I like how Justice Thomas ends his very first paragraph:

We too agree, and now hold, consistent with Heller and McDonald, that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual's right to carry a hand-gun for self-defense outside the home.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    @joshs When NY tells me I'm not eligible for a NY carry license because I'm not a resident and my TX license is insufficient to allow me to carry in NY, I would like to volunteer to be the plaintiff for the next case.... Guaranteeing that all States are required to honor the 2A rights of all citizens, regardless of the location of their primary domicile....

I have relatives I'd like to visit, without being disarmed by the State of NY.

Please let me know where I should submit my CV?

Thanks!
    I'd like to have one of my LTCs be valid in CA when visiting friends, family, mountain lions, and bears, too.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Hmm, reciprocity - that's an interesting issue. Outside the home stops at your state line? I do remember when Senator Cornyn was so sure that reciprocity would come up during the first two years of the Orange Age.

Site Supporter
    Thomas slaughtering a lot of sacred cows is wonderful....

2A extends to modern arms...... p25
    Emphasis mine.

We have already recognized in Heller at least one way in which the Second Amendment’s historically fixed meaning applies to new circumstances: Its reference to “arms” does not apply “only [to] those arms in existence in the 18th century.” 554 U. S., at 582. “Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.” Ibid. (citations omitted). Thus, even though the Second Amendment’s definition of“arms” is fixed according to its historical understanding, that general definition covers modern instruments that facilitate armed self-defense. Cf. Caetano v. Massachusetts, 577 U. S. 411, 411–412 (2016) (per curiam) (stun guns).
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thomas slaughtering a lot of sacred cows is wonderful....

2A extends to modern arms...... p25
    Emphasis mine.
    That could be a very significant statement in the ruling long-term.

User Tag List