Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windbreaker for running/hiking

Windbreaker for running/hiking

I have paralysis by analysis. I need a windbreaker that’ll breath during high output activities like running and hiking. I suppose a hood is okay but don’t really care if it has one. I want a full zip not a 1/4 or 1/2. Some reflective material and pockets would be nice.

My current pullover isn’t breathing at all. Tired of being soaking wet when I finish a run.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

What are you using currently? This list has the recommended usual suspects. Are you dealing with a lot of wind? I’ve found fleece to breathe better and only loose out when it’s very windy.

Hammertime
    I have an old thin Patagonia thing that is great for aerobic activities. But in reality, if it it over freezing temps almost any windbreaker type material will leaves me soaked, so I avoid them.

It is old but similar to the Houdini I think.

Maybe later up on more breathable materials?

Site Supporter
    I expect that a cycling jacket isn't a good solution for you, but, FWIW, I've been very pleased with Showers Pass for wind protection and breathability.

https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...rproof-jackets

They do have a current full zip jacket cut for running...
    https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...udburst-jacket
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Look into the Windcheater either by First Spear or Hillpeople Gear. It’s only available with a hood though. I’ve worn it rucking over a base layer top and it works well.

Site Supporter
    Doc Glock calls this one. Patagonia Air Hoodini for the win. Original Hoodini for value.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...breaker-jacket
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Hammertime
    Pay attention to this from the Houdini Air review:

"Through all of our testing over the years, we've found that there is one part of material technology — at least when it comes to ultra-lightweight materials — that, for now, is mutually exclusive. There simply isn't a material out there that allows for air passage one way but not the other, and as a trade-off for unprecedented breathability, the Houdini Air sacrifices a level of wind resistance."

"On the other end of the spectrum from wind resistance, we have breathability, and in this sense, the Houdini Air is game-changing. Even at grueling levels of exertion, such as hill sprints, this jacket never built up any heat nor showed any signs of moisture retention. What may be most incredible is that this jacket achieves greatness in this category without any additional vents or mesh panels."

To me that sounds totally worth it for dedicated, intense, aerobic activity.

"To me that sounds totally worth it for a dedicated, intense aerobic exercise wind layer.

Two quotes come to my mind: "There is no silver bullet." "Wash me but don't make me wet!" What I mean: All this membrane stuff does not work convincingly (in my experience).

Useful tips that come to my mind:
    1. Apply the onion principle. When running, remove an outer layer as soon as you don't feel cold anymore. That's way before you feel warm or even sweat. If I take off a fleece jacket, I bind it with its sleeves around my hip.
    2. Fine adjustment is possible by tucking or not tucking your shirt/undershirt in your trousers. If it's untucked, you can let some cool air in by lifting the lower end of the shirt.
    Last edited by P30; 11-01-2021 at 10:40 AM.

I have an earlier version of this:
    https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/m...y-1828211.html
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The Kor Preshell and Houdini Air both keep coming to the top of my list. I'm leaning toward the Kor for the pockets.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List