Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Tips - oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I almost always wear a vest when flying: all the pockets are like having another small hand-carry. Other passengers not uncommonly ask where I got the vest when they seem me pulling book, Kindle, or water bottle out of one of the pockets.
    That's what I do. It is so practical, especially for all the little things one would waste time fishing for inside a carry on (though I do take that too for bigger things like a lap top). Nowadays, I use ScottE Vest rather than the old type. It's a little more discreet and has plenty of pockets.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

FWIW (probably not much) on the topic of getting "made" over a vest or something: my wife is a smart and fairly observant individual and on numerous occasions in the grocery store, etc I will comment on the stupidity of a gun being open-carried and she will have not seen it until I say something. The average joe is so non-observant and self-consumed that not much gets noticed. I don't say this to mean we shouldn't pay attention to our own concealment as skilled practitioners, but just that the average person won't notice much anyway.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

1. Don't wear a shoot me first CCW, fisherman's vest! Yes, I have heard this many times and don't. When I wear a vest it is to keep me warm - fleece or puffy. The CCW vest was for IDPA matches. Yes, I did wear it home.
    A variant on this theme:. Don't wear a skin tight marpat combat shirt covered in sheepdog patches over your 300lb gut and an XDM in a serpa to go grocery shopping. Yes, it was tight enough that I could determine the model of gun and holster. I mean, he was wearing camouflage, so that's concealment, right?

Site Supporter
    So, maybe I should dig my AFG vet Royal Robbins vest out of the back of the closet?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Something something 'shot placement'.

At the end of the day, you all are hyenas. Fighting for scraps. But me? I'm the king of the jungle.

*wheezes after running 40 yards*

As to vests, have you guys ever walked into an outdoors store? There is no way all of those dozens of different vests they are selling are being bought by people who carry guns. They would go out of business waiting on that. Since I had to stop carrying appendix (hopefully temporarily) I am wearing a Kuhl vest that works great for concealment and is stiff enough to help with the draw. I have gotten a ton of compliments on it with none of those people thinking it is there to conceal a gun.

As to energy dump, maybe the last time the guy learned was reading 90"s gun rags. (Which I devoured as well.)

I don't know how many times I've "failed the interview" or been picked out by a bad guy. I do know how many times I was picked out for inconvenient or annoying interactions with good-guys when I showed gun-stuff cues. The latter was more than enough to sell me on discretion.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I don't know how many times I've "failed the interview" or been picked out by a bad guy. I do know how many times I was picked out for inconvenient or annoying interactions with good-guys when I showed gun-stuff cues. The latter was more than enough to sell me on discretion.
    I can kind of identify with this. I don't want to be known as a "gun guy" in my day-to-day and professional life. That means I don't give off "gun guy" secret club signals and I don't talk about it in 99% of my world.

If you are the "gun person" in my workplace, I don't want to be part of your inner circle. Sooner or later, somebody does or says the wrong thing in front of the wrong person. That draws the wrong kind of attention to the aforementioned inner circle.

I'm there to do my job and get paid. I do the firearms safety, training, and rights advocacy on my own time.

Maybe it will change someday and I can proudly post my lone GSSF "500 Club" patch on my wall. Until then, as much as I would love to discuss the virtues of the press out and my opinions on holsters, let's just stick to the latest memo about cover sheets for our TPS reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Vest with IDPA patch wasn't a problem for this guy.

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/10/cit...terror-attack/
    That situation is arguably different because the club members probably put the vests on in order to identify each other as “good guys” in the fight. They have their guns out already and came to the fight so “getting made” isn’t going to be the same as if they were unaware and ambushed.

These are fairly lo-pro:

https://bernedirect.com/pages/ccw

Good idea, but then they have to ruin it with OAF names for the garments:

https://bernedirect.com/collections/mens-ccw
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List