Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Munger's Dormitory Controversy

Social Engineering via Architecture doesn't have a great history

Pruitt Igoe

counterpoint
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That little bed is simply not adequate for late 80s/early90s college menage-a-fucking. Hard no on that cot-sized crib.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Looks nicer than floating on a Amphib for six plus months.... just saying...
    yeah but you weren't paying 5K or more a semester to sleep there. LOL

I'm still wondering where my diving gear would've fit, if I lived in this.

Some of the comments here make me think some of you have unrealistic expectations on what a college students life should be, as if you have the authority to dictate such to begin with. College is not a monastery. College students are not property-less monks, nor are they supposed to be. Healthy, normal, successful college kids have hobbies and extra-curricular activities which often have equipment that can't be physically stored in this space. Diving equipment, snowboarding or skiing gear, mountain climbing gear, hiking/camping gear, sports gear, etc etc etc. It's an endless list. What about the robotics and computer kids that tinker on stuff throughout their off hours? Fuck'em all, I guess.

So you want them to engage in healthy activities instead of being cooped up in their dorm room....okay, got it. Where are they storing their equipment for said activities? Because it certainly isn't getting stored in these rooms. Or are they only permitted to have certain activities which you deem appropriate and require zero-to-no storage of equipment in their dormitory? Are they only allowed to be participate in extra-curricular activities where their equipment can be stored in a team room?

If this is ideal college housing, what about ROTC students? We didn't have "team rooms" to store our gear. It had to be stored in your dormitory. So if this were ideal college housing that you deem it's all they need, where is your hard charging, red blooded all-American hero that votes republican and has the blessing of the Imperial Orange God King himself going to store his rucksack, helmet and flak?

It's not like the average, traditional college dorm room is some epitomy of wasteful vanity...they're usually packed and have store stuff in creative ways as is. so I don't understand some of the comments, as if those spoiled college kids will just have to make due because they shouldn't have anything more.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-02-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There are already growing numbers of homeless college students and UCSB is wanting to increase enrollment by another 5,000. This isn't a question of whether better accomodations would be better, it is a question of meeting the minimum needs with the fund available as you seek to attract additional students.

This expanded enrollment targets students from disadvantaged backgrounds (UCSB had 30% first generation college students in 2017, 40% in 2021, and is ultimately aiming to match the national average of 55% ). Aside from the fact parents without a college education tend to make less money, first generation students also require an additional 2 years of college to graduate - further stressing housing & enrollment.

Some of the stuff I had to accommodate at college: two bass guitars, one double bass, a large Fender combo bass amp (1 semester), a vintage Sunn 100s tube amp head, a 1x15" speaker cab, and my buddy's 50w Marshall MkII tube amp head.

So, I'm not entirely clueless on the whole thing about having to accommodate large things in the small spaces of a dorm. Or that a 50w Marshall MkII will blow your neighbor's much boasted 300w stereo out of the water.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    first generation students also require an additional 2 years of college to graduate - further stressing housing & enrollment.
    I feel like I'm missing something. I was a first generation college student, as was my freshman year room mate, my sophomore year room mate...and I think my Junior/Senior year room mate, but I'm not sure about him. None of us required an additional 2 years to graduate. I don't remember that being "a thing", at least. The idea that first generation college students require an additional 2 years of college to graduate is a new concept to me, having been a first generation college student.

"Require" was a poor choice of words - I intended to use "average." And I misread the statement anyway, it was something like "75% of 2nd generation students graduate in 4 years, while it takes 4 years for 75% of 1st generation students to graduate" (meaning many 1st generation graduate in 4 years, but it takes 2 years longer to reach the same graduation rate).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 11-02-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    ...it was something like "75% of 2nd generation students graduate in 4 years, while it takes 4 years for 75% of 1st generation students to graduate" (meaning many 1st generation graduate in 4 years, but it takes 2 years longer to reach the same graduation rate).
    Do what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Do what now?

User Tag List