Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Munger's Dormitory Controversy

Smile Charlie Munger's Dormitory Controversy

Billionaire polymath Charlie Munger is making waves with his latest foray into architecture, an affordable dormitory for UC Santa Barbara. The modular construction would allow the structure to be assembled in 3 weeks, but the lack of bedroom windows and Bangladesh-like population density has generated backlash, including the protest resignation of a prominent architect on the review board.

https://www.independent.com/2021/10/...csb-mega-dorm/

Seems perfectly adequate to me, although I'm amazed "affordable" means $333,333 per bed ($900 per sqft).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-30-2021 at 03:36 PM.

This is what happens when STEM types are allowed to run rampant instead of having a normal human to keep their projects grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Seems perfectly adequate to me
    Good luck fighting 7 other people for the single bathroom within the common space unit.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is what happens when STEM types are allowed to run rampant instead of having a normal human to keep their projects grounded in reality.

Good luck fighting 7 other people for the single bathroom within the common space unit.
    3 others. 2 bathrooms per 8-person suite...

Each residential floor would have eight "houses," each holding 63 students. There are eight suites in each house, and every suite has eight single-occupancy beds — window not included -- as well two bathrooms and a common space.

Looks nicer than floating on a Amphib for six plus months.... just saying...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Looks like 2 bathrooms for 8 people. When I went to college in 2005-2009, I lived in one of the brand new dorms, and each pod of 5 people (2x doubles, 1x single) shared a single bathroom. There were no real issues and that ratio was much better than many of the older dorms. The bathroom was well designed with lockable doors for both the toilet and shower. That way, one person could be taking a dump, a second person showering, and a third person using the sink all at the same time.

These bathroom should be redesigned to allow simultaneous use.

The lack of windows/natural light though...is a serious issue. This building kind of reminds me of those old tenement buildings in the 19th century NYC slums. Massive footprint, dense population, almost no natural light or exterior ventilation, poor hygiene, breeding ground for disease, etc.
    Last edited by shootist26; 10-30-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    3 others. 2 bathrooms per 8-person suite...
    Gotcha. From the picture it looked like a single bathroom with a separate side for poopin' while the other side was a shower room.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I believe the design is based off grad student housing at another college (U Mich?) which had very high reviews from the students. My understanding is that they had windows in the common spaces and they often viewed intermingling between majors as a positive to make friends outside their area of study. However, two caveats would be that they had ensuite private bathrooms for every room, and once COVID hit and they were no longer allowed to congregate in communal spaces the complaints skyrocketed.

They will be forced to go outside to seek natural light in the horrible climate and surroundings of Santa Barbara, CA.

Woe.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I believe the design is based off grad student housing at another college (U Mich?) which had very high reviews from the students. My understanding is that they had windows in the common spaces and they often viewed intermingling between majors as a positive to make friends outside their area of study. However, two caveats would be that they had ensuite private bathrooms for every room, and once COVID hit and they were no longer allowed to congregate in communal spaces the complaints skyrocketed.
    yea, the Munger graduate residence hall at UMich. It has much larger bedrooms, private ensuite bathrooms, and a much more living room feel of the common area though. Looks pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__cfVWiAxSU&t=11s

The UCSB one looks so cramped and its common area looks like a shitty break room in every generic office building

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    ...shared a single bathroom. There were no real issues and that ratio was much better than many of the older dorms. The bathroom was well designed with lockable doors for both the toilet and shower. That way, one person could be taking a dump, a second person showering, and a third person using the sink all at the same time...
    Fun times.

In my experience, the guy on the toilet quickly learned to use his left leg to constantly prop open the toilet stall door, and to keep a sharp eye on the mirrors, because with the door open the guy could watch an image of the washroom's doors, and thus to keep track of who'd come in and who'd left, and thereby to avoid the pleasure of having - at the same time - both a dump and a shower.

With the stall door closed, however... good luck.
    Last edited by Wendell; 10-30-2021 at 05:26 PM.

User Tag List