Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Windows 11?

My laptop says that Windows 11 is now available to download. Has anyone tried it out, yet?

I think I'll pass. I have enough trouble with W10.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Apparently my laptop is too old.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Microsoft is rapidly coming down on the "facebook" side of the "facebook/apple" differing approach to user privacy. 11 just looks like another step in that direction.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I had a desktop that was running W7. Now, it's basically unusable for online stuff. I could have dropped some more RAM into it and upgraded when it was offered.

Support for W10 ends in four years. This laptop is two years old. My last laptop (Win 7, unupgradable) ran for ten years and would still be usable otherwise.

So I'm thinking that upgrading will possibly give me more use. But I kind of want to see if there are issues, first. Being on the cutting edge of tech seems risky.

(Say the person who carries 1911s and revolvers.)

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Apparently my laptop is too old.
    I have two. One I bought this year and one that's 7 years old. I think that one may be too old.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I had a desktop that was running W7. Now, it's basically unusable for online stuff. I could have dropped some more RAM into it and upgraded when it was offered.

Support for W10 ends in four years. This laptop is two years old. My last laptop (Win 7, unupgradable) ran for ten years and would still be usable otherwise.

So I'm thinking that upgrading will possibly give me more use. But I kind of want to see if there are issues, first. Being on the cutting edge of tech seems risky.

(Say the person who carries 1911s and revolvers.)
    I'm a computer technician with 25 years of experience. IMO, when it comes to Windows releases, give a new full version at least two years of development before moving to it, unless there is some must-have feature in the new version.

I'm going to hold off on Windows 11 until late 2023 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I'm a computer technician with 25 years of experience. IMO, when it comes to Windows releases, give a new full version at least two years of development before moving to it, unless there is some must-have feature in the new version.

I'm going to hold off on Windows 11 until late 2023 at least.
    Exactly this. Let someone else be the guinea pig.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Loved Windows 95 until each new addition came out. Hated to upgrade my 7s to 8s and then the 8s to 10s, so I will be going to 11, but it is time for some new computers anyway so might not upgrade what I have yet.

Bob

I'm running 11 on a desktop and a laptop. So far, from what I can tell, most of the changes are cosmetic, and/or optimized certain features to work better with tablets or 2 in 1 touchscreens. It looks pretty nice, but doesn't really work all that differently, and I don't notice much difference in feature set. I haven't run into any compatibility problems or other issues but both are new, relatively high end machines.

User Tag List