Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick Question About My M64 Before Shipping it To S&W

Every time I think about fixing a too-wide barrel/cylinder gap I remember the section of Hamilton Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver" where he describes the procedure of setting a barrel back to correct the gap, and notes that it essentially is the same as installing a new barrel. So, if you need to set a barrel back, it might be best to just get a new barrel while you're at it unless your current barrel has markings or features that cannot easily be replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm two for two on revolvers coming back from S&W either not fixed or with significant new problems that they didn't have when they went there.
    *slowly raises hand*

Yeah, their QC and CS both blow chimp.

JMO
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Here’s a bit of good news. I finally sent my police trade in M64 to Smith and Wesson to get the B/C gap reduced, and they returned it within one month…FIXED! They reduced the gap from .011” to .008”. It’s not the .006” I requested, but it should be fine.
    Arghhh! Why are my pics always upside down?!?!?

Name:  B900F16D-9523-4C43-9755-7B773D857F36.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  44.1 KB

Perhaps your camera was originally intended for the Australian market?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post

Are you using an iPhone?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

@Stephanie B
    I used an iPad.

Site Supporter
    Here’s a bit of good news. I finally sent my police trade in M64 to Smith and Wesson to get the B/C gap reduced, and they returned it within one month…FIXED! They reduced the gap from .011” to .008”. It’s not the .006” I requested, but it should be fine.

Does this revolver shoot accurately? I have an older NY-1 M-64, double action only snub, that's dead on. I have the Model 10 blue version of your revolver. It's a new one with the lock. I'm pleased to report that it's an outstanding specimen.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Does this revolver shoot accurately? I have an older NY-1 M-64, double action only snub, that's dead on. I have the Model 10 blue version of your revolver. It's a new one with the lock. I'm pleased to report that it's an outstanding specimen.
    It’s as accurate at 25 yards as my 4” 686+ revolver. The trigger is very smooth, and the double action pull is about 8.75 lbs. I shot it today, and hit an 8” shoot and see target 46 out of 50 times at 25 yards. The cylinder was a bit sloppy when I bought it, so I replaced that and the cylinder stop.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    @Stephanie B
    I used an iPad.
    OK.

When you take an overhead shot, it can get confused with orientation.

After taking the photo, open it to edit and just move the margin(s) slightly. That seems to freeze the orientation.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

@Stephanie B
    You’re a genius, Stephanie!
    ETA: According to my Lyman trigger gauge, DA is 10lb 10oz, and SA is 3.3 lbs. It’s been a while since I checked it, and I don’t write the info down. Still very smooth and crisp.

Name:  5B74EE10-6C1E-4350-9292-2564E4BDBF18.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 03-24-2022 at 08:46 PM.

User Tag List