Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question About My M64 Before Shipping it To S&W

Oh Man! I just dropped it off. It should be noted that my Colt King Cobra is out to be repaired as well. I was cleaning it after a range trip, and notice that the very tail of the hammer spur wasn’t there(!!!). This leaves me with just six revolvers to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I'm not certain the question either, but if it's what constitutes "within spec", .010" is the limit per S&W. Frank, make sure you're holding the cylinder rearward when you measure, and that you measure each charge hole -- it would be odd for shooting and cleaning just a few times to open things up almost .003" unless the measurements were off. If she's shooting true you may want to hold off correcting gap.

What barrel length and dash version is your 64?
    This revolver has absolutely zero end shake. The barrel length is 4”. I did install a new cylinder. The original wobbled, but the new barrel and bushing cleared that right up. The .010-.011 readings were the same with both cylinders. It’s very accurate. I wonder if I should call FedEx and have them pull the box.

After language barrier difficulties, I managed to get FedEx to stop the shipment. It’s supposed to be delivered back to me next Thursday.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This reminds me of my dumb idea to machine S&W two-piece barrel shrouds to work with a barrel nut (maybe the Dan Wesson part could be made to work as-is) and a new barrel turned from a match-grade blank, making headspace user-configurable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’ve had Dave Olhasso work on two of my S&W revolvers, and he said the same thing about coming back worse from the factory. I was going to call him, and ask if he had the tool to remove a barrel sleeve, but he’s still recovering from all my of questions this past year. 😁
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-29-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This reminds me of my dumb idea to machine S&W two-piece barrel shrouds to work with a barrel nut (maybe the Dan Wesson part could be made to work as-is) and a new barrel turned from a match-grade blank, making headspace user-configurable.
    There was a shop that would do pretty much that, install a Dan Wesson shroud and barrel on a Smith and Wesson frame. The only one I saw pictured was a Model 28. The gunsmith's name was Smith so Dean Grennell, always the wit in the gunzines, called it the Smith and Smith and Wesson and Wesson.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I don't think that's such a dumb idea but a real bitch to pull off. Especially for a one-off. I much prefer my Smiths but I think the barrel nut scheme on my lone DW is pretty slick.

I should not have Googled Pinnacle. Between that and the SA-35, I'm gonna be out some money.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    S&W sent me a return label, and said they’re running about six weeks out right now.
    Closer to eight weeks. A revolver of mine has been in their hands for six weeks and I've not heard a peep from them.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    There was a shop that would do pretty much that, install a Dan Wesson shroud and barrel on a Smith and Wesson frame. The only one I saw pictured was a Model 28. The gunsmith's name was Smith so Dean Grennell, always the wit in the gunzines, called it the Smith and Smith and Wesson and Wesson.
    Jack Weigand was offering it as a standard conversion (although he made new shrouds) on L frames 20 years ago. I emailed him to see if he still does it. Don't know his status, but I'm guessing until he responds that he only wants to sell the products on his site.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63354

This guy did it to his S&W 500 by himself (but he's a machinist by trade). Almost all the pics are gone, but the text is still there:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum...-inspired-mod/

Cylinder & Slide has it on the web site for the S&W 500 as well. It appears to use a proud knurled nut rather than one that's recessed into the end of the shroud:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sw500.shtml
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List