Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vis laser vs MRDS

@ASH556, I have similar setup and requirements. When I mount my thermal and remove the LPVO for coyote hunting purposes, I need a visible aiming system. As well I want to be able to verify that the zero hasn’t shifted on either scope. I’m using a MRDS on an Arisaka offset mount. It sits fairly low and tight.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I remain quite satisfied with my HS 507k mounted in an Arisaka offset mount on my DMR/SPR-/whatever AR-15. If you prefer the trijicon product, I would strongly encourage you consider the RMRcc. On paper the size difference isn't that great, but I find the slimmer profile of the 507k is a much better fit for this application than the 503c that went before it.

Personally given that it is a 2ndary sighting system and that I've had great luck with the HS optics that were functional out of the box, I am more than happy with the Holosun products for this role but YMMV, totally understand the choice to go with the Trijicon.

Well, I could never get comfortable with the laser in my head. @dontshakepandas hooked me up with a great deal on this Reptilia Corp mount and now I'm all set.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Well, I could never get comfortable with the laser in my head. @dontshakepandas hooked me up with a great deal on this Reptilia Corp mount and now I'm all set.

Nice. Is it just the photo angle, or does the RMR look really low in comparison to the elevation knob? Can you put the RMR on the front ring?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Nice. Is it just the photo angle, or does the RMR look really low in comparison to the elevation knob? Can you put the RMR on the front ring?
    Yeah, some of that's the angle of the photo. The turret covers somewhere between the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the RMR window. I like it mounted in the rear position for 2 reasons:
    1. closer to my eye, so the appearance of a larger window of the RMR makes it easier to locate the dot
    2. Even if the dot is in the lower portion of the window obscured by the turret, I can find it and either adjust for an unobstructed sight picture or just shoot it both eyes open and make the hit if circumstances permit.

I have a strong preference for a 12:00 mount vs something offset.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Yeah, some of that's the angle of the photo. The turret covers somewhere between the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the RMR window. I like it mounted in the rear position for 2 reasons:
    1. closer to my eye, so the appearance of a larger window of the RMR makes it easier to locate the dot
    2. Even if the dot is in the lower portion of the window obscured by the turret, I can find it and either adjust for an unobstructed sight picture or just shoot it both eyes open and make the hit if circumstances permit.

I have a strong preference for a 12:00 mount vs something offset.
    They do make a spacer in case you want to get the RMR high enough to clear the turret.

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/rof...-trijicon-rmr/

Maybe I missed it, but in this thread there seems to be overall preference for open emitter vs closed emitter sights. Why is that?
    I was seriously looking at using a Holosun 509T or a HS515GM to avoid any issues with debris getting into the emitter pocket.

I really like the arisaka offset with my acog. I have an h2 on there, and it works great. The reason I prefer it to twelve o clock is I find canting the gun is really stable for shooting on the move and handy for short stocking and still being able to look the optic with a longer rifle. Either one takes a head or gun shift to find the dot. Offset also allows me to have a closed emitter which is a plus.

User Tag List