Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver for small hands

Site Supporter

Revolver for small hands

I did a search but I didn’t find a lot of information on this in regard to revolvers.

My wife currently has an EZ Shield .380 for home defense. She likes it ok because she can shoot it well and there is minimal recoil. However, she’s just not all the comfortable with a semi auto.

She would like to try a revolver but the issue is her hands are tiny. The trigger reach combined with a DA pull make it difficult for her to use the trigger.

Are some hands just too small for a revolver?

Can anything be done to fill in the gap on an LCR? Like a Tyler t grip ? The LCR trigger pull is a bit more manageable/smoother than S&W trigger pulls.

Any suggestions for making a revolver work with small hands?

I think she should try an lcr before you even think about changing anything.

Site Supporter
    Has she tried the various J frames? There are different grips available. A SW Model 60 is a nice smaller hands gun, dependent on grips and the trigger pull isn't' that bad in a smaller gun. However, I would recommend a lighter load as they are unpleasant with big ol' boomers. My daughter is only 5 ' 4" and thought the 642 standard grip was good, but didn't like standard recoil. She shoots a G19 just fine though.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Taurus 856 has six rounds and is available in all steel with a 3-inch barrel. The grip frame is the same as a J frame, just the cross pin is in a different location. With some adaptation, grips/stocks can be interchanged. It has an external hammer, so can be pre-cocked if the DA is unmanageable. Weight is ~24 oz, off the top of my head.

The LCRx is available with a 3-inch barrel, which adds weight and reduces recoil. Also has an external trigger if that proves necessary. The .357 version is about 5 1/2 oz. heavier than the .38 SPL version, but still a few oz lighter than the Taurus.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "fill in the gap on an LCR? Like a Tyler t grip ?" The LCR rubber grip already fills in behind the trigger guard about as much as I could see anyone wanting to do.

In general, the Hogue rubber grips like those used on the LCR can be modified by carving/shaving/grinding material off the exterior. If you go too far, you will run into the hard plastic inner structure, but the good news is they are inexpensive to replace if you screw one up. You should be able to take some material off the back strap to reduce the reach, as well as skinny it up from side to side. I have done both on my GP100 grip, and I have large hands. The loss of cushioning is a non-issue compared to making it actually fit the shape of my hands.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the suggestions.

My wife has tiny little Aztec hands, and I’m not sure she could shoot a Glock well for more than a round. She can’t even grip my P-07.

A .22 or .22 magnum would be an option but the trigger pull on those are just too heavy. .38 wadcutters would do well for her, but they are not exactly easy to find right now. Wadcutters in a 3 inch J-frame or LCR would be a nice set up if we can make it work.

She’s smart enough to operate the EZ Shield, but she comes from a culture where legal firearm ownership is very uncommon. She’s taken a couple of classes and did well, but she really wants to look into revolvers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The Taurus 856 has six rounds and is available in all steel with a 3-inch barrel. The grip frame is the same as a J frame, just the cross pin is in a different location. With some adaptation, grips/stocks can be interchanged. It has an external hammer, so can be pre-cocked if the DA is unmanageable. Weight is ~24 oz, off the top of my head.

The LCRx is available with a 3-inch barrel, which adds weight and reduces recoil. Also has an external trigger if that proves necessary. The .357 version is about 5 1/2 oz. heavier than the .38 SPL version, but still a few oz lighter than the Taurus.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "fill in the gap on an LCR? Like a Tyler t grip ?" The LCR rubber grip already fills in behind the trigger guard about as much as I could see anyone wanting to do.

In general, the Hogue rubber grips like those used on the LCR can be modified by carving/shaving/grinding material off the exterior. If you go too far, you will run into the hard plastic inner structure, but the good news is they are inexpensive to replace if you screw one up. You should be able to take some material off the back strap to reduce the reach, as well as skinny it up from side to side. I have done both on my GP100 grip, and I have large hands. The loss of cushioning is a non-issue compared to making it actually fit the shape of my hands.

I have an 856 DAO. It’s just a bit too far on the trigger reach for her. Just a little better would give her the ability to pull the trigger more easily, even if she had to use two fingers.

While I would like a revolver for her, I think the EZ shield might be the better option, but since she expressed interest in the revolver option, I’m trying to do my due diligence in looking into it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If your 856 has the wraparound grips, you might try to find one of the non-wraparound grips. They don't have as long a reach from the back strap and they might also be thinner side to side. I don't think you'll find a revolver with a smaller grip frame than the one you already have, so working on your options there is probably the best approach.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If your 856 has the wraparound grips, you might try to find one of the non-wraparound grips. They don't have as long a reach from the back strap and they might also be thinner side to side. I don't think you'll find a revolver with a smaller grip frame than the one you already have, so working on your options there is probably the best approach.
    Which grip(s) do you recommend? Mine does have the wrap around grip.

The shop Taurus site has multiple options.

Look into the Colts as well. I prefer them to j frames.

Site Supporter
    Went to my parents house and my wife tried out my mother’s early 90s Taurus 85 with the older style wood grips. It worked better for her grip wise. Just a tad smaller and a tad lighter trigger pull and we would be in business. Maybe just a slightly better trigger would be all we need.

User Tag List