Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightstick TWM-30

Nightstick TWM-30

I picked one of these up recently to play with. So far I am kind of ambiguous about it.

Size is more or less Streamlight TLR-1 but it is just different enough to be incompatible with the Blackhawk duty holster for the Glock/TLR. It is also a little tight in a Raven Perun. It does seem to fit okay in my US Duty Gear 6280 clone.

Outside of holster fit, here are my thoughts:

CONS
    Not dual fuel. The light won't work with 16340 batteries. It does work with CR123s as well as the lifepo4 Surefire rechargeable. So sort of dual fuel but not really.

No pressure switch option. Just toggle switch for now. Will Nightstick make a pressure switch for pistols? If not, they should. Make it somewhere in between Surefire and Streamlight in thickness so as to work better with various holsters.

Cross bolt/clamp kind of small. Not sure what coin I'm supposed to use to attach the light to the gun. A dime? Why not a penny or a nickel? Or a Phillips screw to stay consistent with the battery compartment.

Phillips screwdriver needed to open the battery compartment? I guess this pretty much guarantees you better have a Leatherman tool handy at all times.

Switches. The switches are left and right of the trigger guard. One quick press down for constant on. One long press and release for momentary. Not necessarily a bad thing in operation but the switches themselves feel fairly flimsy. Will they hold up over time?

Rear battery cap. Aside from the small rail coin slot and the Phillips screw to open the battery compartment the light must be removed to change batteries. Nightstick needs to make something about this same size with a front load battery. Same thing goes for Surefire and Streamlight. Streamlight has the TLR9 but that only looks like it will work on an old AMT Long Slide or a Glock 34....

PROS

Bright. Claimed to be 1200 lumen and it is brighten than some other lights. Also smaller than the Modlite. No real comment yet on how well the light throws.

Metal rail interface. The little insert in the top of the light is metal. Three come in the package and allow the light to be adjusted fore and aft slightly depending on user preference.

Switch operation. One quick press turns the light on in constant mode. A press and hold sets it in momentary. Press and hold both right and left buttons for 3 or 4 seconds deactivates the light until both buttons and pressed and held. Seems pretty intuitive with a little use.

Biggest concern so far is holster fitment. With the TLR-1 and X300 being the prominent lights in the market I think they should have chosen one or the other to base this light off of.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts. Anyone else messed around with one of these?

Happy Friday!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have the Nightstick compact single CR123 550 lumen weapon light mounted on an AR pistol. The light will fit on something as compact as a Sig P365 while a standard Streamlight TLR7 will not fit. (Streamlight now has a specific version with a modified clamp that will fit). I like this light. I have had it a few years, and can report zero battery drain with the light kept ready to go that entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

A couple comparison shots. The TWM-30 is on the left and top. Streamlight TLR-1 on the right and bottom.

The TWM ships with the #2 insert installed as the default adapter for the Glock.

Note that the style of switch and variance in body length make the light incompatible with the Blackhawk duty holster. Works fine in US Duty holster. Likely also fine with the Safariland duty but I don’t have one to test.

Overall not a bad light and I think it would be outstanding with a few minor tweaks. The instruction pamphlet says to use a quarter to tighten the light to the rail. But a quarter doesn't really fit the slot. So ditch the coin idea and go with a Phillips screw or even a small Allen that coincides with the small rail interface screw. Change the battery door to Allen also. Or ditch the whole battery door and make a removable head!

Last edited by Tokarev; 10-30-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Nightstick gave us one for T&E. Our guy who's running it really likes the switching, especially compared to an X300U. Fits his hands and works for him much better. As you mentioned holster fit is an issue. One of the newest Safariland 7360s we have does not like this light at all. The US Duty Gear SLS clone works....as does the Alien Gear Rapid Force holster. It's a bit heavier than the X300U....but you're right it is bright as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Nightstick gave us one for T&E. Our guy who's running it really likes the switching, especially compared to an X300U. Fits his hands and works for him much better. As you mentioned holster fit is an issue. One of the newest Safariland 7360s we have does not like this light at all. The US Duty Gear SLS clone works....as does the Alien Gear Rapid Force holster. It's a bit heavier than the X300U....but you're right it is bright as hell.
    I tried my specimen with a Rapid Force G19 holster. It appears to fit but the ejection port retention thing in the top of the holster won't engage. The light must be keeping the gun from seating just an ⅛" or something.

Switching is intuitive. Probably about the only thing I kind of like with this light. That and the 1200 lumen thing.

Site Supporter
    I am going to decline to feed the monster on this one. I will stipulate that this is fine product that far exceeds the intersection of quality/value/performance when compared to other lights i.e. Surefire.

In 13 pages of pdfs associated with the flashlight on the website re warranty, instruction, a product flyer, battery consumption etc. not a word I saw re country of origin.

https://www.nightstick.com/collectio...roducts/twm-30 (under the downloads tab). That lack of transparency is enough to pass on the product alone.

Moreover, I would humbly assert THEY know that given their targeted LEO/MIL customer base, SOME of whom would buy something else if they knew the Nightstick product was made in China.

A roughly comparable Streamlight TLR-1 is assembled in the US for roughly the same price point. Moreover, at least Streamlight lists the country of origin at the bottom of their fact sheets on their products.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Moreover, I would humbly assert THEY know that given their targeted LEO/MIL customer base, SOME of whom would buy something else if they knew the Nightstick product was made in China.
    Not to necessarily disagree but does anyone believe a $125 WML is made in the US? Not impossible but also probably not likely in the day and age of electronic imports.

Departments poo-pooing lights and red dots made in China may do well to look at where their uniform boots are made or where their MDT or cell phones are made. What about their Motorola radios? Chances are all this stuff is made in China. And complaining that your accessories are made in China to stick on a porcelain gun made in Germany?

But I guess at least Austria isn't our strategic enemy.

Anyway, to the topic of the light; I'd say they're on the right track with the output, battery life, programming sequence for the switches, etc. The logical course to take would be tweak the light's body to match either the X300 or TLR so as to help with holster fitment. Either that or partner with someone to make a duty holster that definitely fits. Maybe sizing the body to follow Surefire or Streamlight gets into intellectual property stuff. But working with Blackhawk or whoever surely wouldn't.

Heck go one step further and work with a holster company to fit a pistol that is hard to find a duty rig for. Something like the XDM with light and red dot or M&P 2.0 with this stuff attached.

I have 2 of the earlier versions - the 350 and the 850. They fit fine in Safariland holsters but I don’t remember trying them in the omnivore for a Streamlight. This new model looks like it has a longer bezel. I like them. I’m running an 854 on my SBR. The screw for the backplate is really my only hangup with the 3 that I have. I do like the adapter plates on yours better than the old style. Much more robust and user friendly.

Name:  C69EDA29-F105-473A-BB69-1B2C5564DA9F.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  55.1 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    T

To be clear: my issues with buying things made in the PRC are geopolitical. The past 18+ months coupled with my personal move away from a quality/value/performance matrix to a buy quality/cry once mindset is in play as well.

The PRC's strategic foreign policy is counter to ours and they are systematically endeavoring to eliminate an entire race of people (Uighurs). As such -I simply refuse to feed the monster any longer when I can source the "rough" functional equivalent, even if that means spending more money. I fully acknowledge my approach is not perfect or universal.
    I fully acknowledge that I am blessed enough to be able to pay more and some folks, particularly those with families, may not be.

Again, I acknowledge that from the performance/value/quality/feature set perspective, Chinese flashlight makers are crushing Surefire who prioritizes reliability/QC far above anything else. Sub 100.00 Pocket knives is another place where Chinese manufacturers are setting the curve. I will spend more with Spyderco.

To veer a bit, what I find ironic is many of the same people that are anti-vax and believe that COVID-19 has a Chinese man made component and/or blame aspect also routinely buy lots of goods made in the PRC, to include those in the tactical space-boots, nylon, clothes, flashlight, red dot sights, other optics etc on a routine basis with reckless abandon.

Am I throwing away Salomon and Arcteryx gear I own because those brands were fairly recently acquired by a chinese conglomerate-no. Will I be buying any more of those brands new, from a retailer-no.

Finally, in certain spaces i.e. cell phones, computers, consumer electronics generally, in all but highest of ends, it may be impossible to avoid buying goods that were made in the PRC. Indeed, In the Spring/Summer of f 2020, it was essentially impossible to buy "true" N95/KN 95 PPE that were not made in China.

I will endeavor to my level best in every other space where possible, to not buy Made in the PRC goods and encourage others to do the same.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    T

To be clear: my issues with buying things made in the PRC are geopolitical. The past 18+ months coupled with my personal move away from a quality/value/performance matrix to a buy quality/cry once mindset is in play as well.

The PRC's strategic foreign policy is counter to ours and they are systematically endeavoring to eliminate an entire race of people (Uighurs). As such -I simply refuse to feed the monster any longer when I can source the "rough" functional equivalent, even if that means spending more money. I fully acknowledge my approach is not perfect or universal.
    I fully acknowledge that I am blessed enough to be able to pay more and some folks, particularly those with families, may not be.

Again, I acknowledge that from the performance/value/quality/feature set perspective, Chinese flashlight makers are crushing Surefire who prioritizes reliability/QC far above anything else. Sub 100.00 Pocket knives is another place where Chinese manufacturers are setting the curve. I will spend more with Spyderco.

To veer a bit, what I find ironic is many of the same people that are anti-vax and believe that COVID-19 has a Chinese man made component and/or blame aspect also routinely buy lots of goods made in the PRC, to include those in the tactical space-boots, nylon, clothes, flashlight, red dot sights, other optics etc on a routine basis with reckless abandon.

Am I throwing away Salomon and Arcteryx gear I own because those brands were fairly recently acquired by a chinese conglomerate-no. Will I be buying any more of those brands new, from a retailer-no.

Finally, in certain spaces i.e. cell phones, computers, consumer electronics generally, in all but highest of ends, it may be impossible to avoid buying goods that were made in the PRC. Indeed, In the Spring/Summer of f 2020, it was essentially impossible to buy "true" N95/KN 95 PPE that were not made in China.

I will endeavor to my level best in every other space where possible, to not buy Made in the PRC goods and encourage others to do the same.
    For better or worse, imports are the nature of the world in which we live.

User Tag List