Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building/improving my firearms/mindset reference library

A few random books that come to mind:
    The Strategies of Low-Light Engagements - Ken J. Good
    Every article Ken J. Good ever wrote
    Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals - Brian Enos
    Training at the Speed of Life, Vol. 1: The Definitive Textbook for Police and Military Reality Based Training - Kenneth R. Murray
    Everything from Mike Pannone, Paul Howe, and Kyle Lamb
    Every Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual

Defense-oriented authors:
    Ken J. Good, Ken Murray, Mike Pannone, Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, Pat McNamara, Andy Stanford, Jim Cirillo, Louis Awerbuck, Massad Ayoob

Competition-related authors:
    Brian Enos, Steve Anderson, Ben Stoeger, Mike Seeklander, Saul Kirsch, Ron Avery

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Lots of good books already mentioned. I'll add the following:

Deep Survival - by Laurence Gonzales

The Unthinkable (Who survives when disaster strikes and why) - Amanda Ripley. If Deep Survival is case studies in wilderness survival, the The Unthinkable is about natural disasters.)

98.6 Keeping Your Ass Alive - by Cody Ludin (yes, the barefoot, pig-tailed guy from the Discovery Channel - but it's not a bushcraft/primitive living book. Much more practical. The only "survival" book 99% of us need to read.)

Green Eyes & Black Rifles - Kyle Lamb. (Been around a long time but I'm not aware of a better book for the AR.)

I'll add some more in a later post.

Deep Survival - by Laurence Gonzales.
    The huge thing I got out of this book is: If the map in your head does not match what is actually going on you are so screwed.
    This can refer to terrain, location, situation, proximics, people etc.....

What are the thoughts on Christopher Bartocci's Armorer's Manual AR15/M16/M4 Family of Weapons?

I bought Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Ruger Double actions.

Site Supporter
    I read Unrepentant Sinner in the early to mid 1990s. I obtained my copy, published by Paladin Press, at the OKC gun show at the fairgrounds. I would not consider Askins' memoir as one for a model of proper mindset. Throughout the text he makes racially charged remarks, details rather honestly the questionable use of lethal force that even 90 years ago was doubted by authorities, and his temperament is not that of a man in control of his violent emotions. That said, the stories about law enforcement in the early Forest Service (challenging illegal loggers) and working with the early Border Patrol to stop smuggling across the Mexican border are fascinating for how dangerous, remote, and exhausting it was assert Federal authority at a time when it was still a novelty. The one time his bad temper served him well was when he fought Nazis in World War II. The bastards deserved every pain he inflicted upon them. In later life, when he was a popular gun writer, his story about sneaking into the former Soviet Union to do a bear hunt is good stuff. The man had no problem with breaking rules. As I said, it is not good now for a model of proper mindset, but it does make for fascinating reading. Enjoy the book if you can get your hands on a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals - Brian Enos
    Every Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual
    I have Beyond Fundamentals, and thanks for the Kuhnhasusen recommendation!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Any suggestions for firearms maintenance/simple repairs? I am going to pick up Stephen Camp's Hi Power book. Is there a good book on Glocks (up to and including Gen 5s and the single stacks) ?
    If you run small revolvers Mr. Camp’s snubby revolver book is worthwhile as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    " No Second Place Winner", Bill Jordan.
    This book is something of a mixed bag. The endorsement of drop guns and altering crime scenes makes me hesitant to recommend this book.

“Small arms of the world”, Smith

Multiple editions of this book, dating back many decades. Prices all over the map depending on version and book condition.

Here’s one entry on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Arms-Wo...dp/0880296011/

~900 pages chock full of pictures and info. Primary focus is military small arms. Not hugely useful in a practical sense but fun to browse through. Latest edition is 30+ years old, so not current. Looks impressive on the shelf.

— Michael

Site Supporter
    For use of force for law enforcement but has a lot of value for non-le too!

https://cap-press.com/books/isbn/978...-Third-Edition

The third edition examines the issues through a post-Ferguson lens.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

User Tag List