Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Building/improving my firearms/mindset reference library

Quote Originally Posted by TNK View Post
    I read Unrepentant Sinner in the early to mid 1990s. I obtained my copy, published by Paladin Press, at the OKC gun show at the fairgrounds. I would not consider Askins' memoir as one for a model of proper mindset. Throughout the text he makes racially charged remarks, details rather honestly the questionable use of lethal force that even 90 years ago was doubted by authorities, and his temperament is not that of a man in control of his violent emotions. That said, the stories about law enforcement in the early Forest Service (challenging illegal loggers) and working with the early Border Patrol to stop smuggling across the Mexican border are fascinating for how dangerous, remote, and exhausting it was assert Federal authority at a time when it was still a novelty. The one time his bad temper served him well was when he fought Nazis in World War II. The bastards deserved every pain he inflicted upon them. In later life, when he was a popular gun writer, his story about sneaking into the former Soviet Union to do a bear hunt is good stuff. The man had no problem with breaking rules. As I said, it is not good now for a model of pro can be red CCW tper mindset, but it does make for fascinating reading. Enjoy the book if you can get your hands on a copy.
    Examples of what not to do can be every bit as valuable as examples to emulate.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I ordered The Shooter's Guide to the Browning Hi Power - REVISED EDITION by Stephen Camp. Looking forward to getting this one.

Is there a good book on the GP100? I am looking for a book similar to Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual for the Double Action Ruger Revolvers (which covers the -Six series revolvers).

I didn't see "Law of Self Defense" by Andrew Branca.

Very good, I'd recommend it to anyone who carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    For use of force for law enforcement but has a lot of value for non-le too!

https://cap-press.com/books/isbn/978...-Third-Edition

The third edition examines the issues through a post-Ferguson lens.

In Defense of Self and Others is an excellent book! I know of attorneys who've been given copies by their client for educational reasons.

And, my apologies for not putting this in my first post.

Awerbuck's writing, not only the collections of the SWAT columns but his other books as - Defensive Shotgun and Hit or Myth;

Both Greg Morrison's book The Modern Technique of the Pistol and Reitz's offering The Art of Modern Gunfight. Together, there's a real good feel for the evolution of one methodology.

User Tag List