Thread: Anyone interested in this test?

Anyone interested in this test?

It comes up a lot regarding shootabilty, recoil and ballistics of 357 magnum versus 9mm from short barrel guns.

Does anyone care to see me shoot this gun (2.5” night guard) with chrono and video from the side using 147gr 9mm Gold Dot versus 135gr 357 mag short barrel?

The advantage is that the cylinder is cut for 9mm moons and can still run 357 mag so it’s apples to apples.

Name:  251AFBB6-6C6C-4423-ADB0-85F4363C1BB9.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  60.5 KB

@Joe Mac
    @03RN

Sweet

Did you happen to Chrono it before you had the cylinder reamed? I wonder if shooting .357 out of reamed out cylinders will change it.

But I'm interested as I've considered doing this for ammo availability. Even though at this point I have way more .38 and .357 than 9.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sweet

Did you happen to Chrono it before you had the cylinder reamed? I wonder if shooting .357 out of reamed out cylinders will change it.

But I'm interested as I've considered doing this for ammo availability. Even though at this point I have way more .38 and .357 than 9.
    Not with the 135 short barrel but I do have an unmolested cylinder I could swap in. My guess is that the longer 357 brass would seal past the the reamed part and there might only be a whiff of loss from bulging brass towards the base.

Of note, the 9mm may lose some oomph with this kind of conversion too so it’d only be a loose comparison but probably more helpful than comparing guns that weigh 3-4oz differently with regard to recoil.

I’ve been tempted to have my J frame milled for 9mm but if I’m going that light I’ll carry the Taurus 380 revolver.

I am interested!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Not with the 135 short barrel but I do have an unmolested cylinder I could swap in. My guess is that the longer 357 brass would seal past the the reamed part and there might only be a whiff of loss from bulging brass towards the base.

Of note, the 9mm may lose some oomph with this kind of conversion too so it’d only be a loose comparison but probably more helpful than comparing guns that weigh 3-4oz differently with regard to recoil.

I’ve been tempted to have my J frame milled for 9mm but if I’m going that light I’ll carry the Taurus 380 revolver.
    The 9mm might surprise you.

It’s been posited (IDK if proven) that chambering a revolver for a shorter auto-round basically gives it a ton of free-bore (one of the tricks Roy Weatherby used in his rifles to achieve spectacular velocities). The free-bore offsets gas loss to the BC gap.

My GP100 10mm drives Sig Elite 180 FMJs an average of 1,250 FPS, which is the exact MV advertised by Sig.

Here you go

LCR9 gave almost identical ballistics to the LCR357 that @Joe Mac tested in his thread.

The conversion cylinder in the Night Guard was underwhelming.

Cool screen cap from the magnum

Name:  1A3A66FE-B0A2-4705-B6CD-C22A9980314F.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  44.9 KB

This is something that could catch the interest of those weaned on Call of Duty automatics. Messrs. Smith and Wesson, you could do this. You could make this flame throwing omnivore work as a catalog item.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    This is something that could catch the interest of those weaned on Call of Duty automatics. Messrs. Smith and Wesson, you could do this. You could make this flame throwing omnivore work as a catalog item.
    Don't hold your breath. There's not a SAMMI spec for a cylinder chambered such as this, so we'll never see it happen.

I take your advice on my breathing, this would not be a horse to bet the rent on. Nevertheless, we could muse on the fact that before somebody cooked up the 44 Magnum there were no SAMMI chamber specs for same.

User Tag List