Thread: Gen 5 vs Gen 4 texture

Gen 5 vs Gen 4 texture

It hardly seems worth it’s own thread, but I wasn’t sure where else to put this. I always thought Gen 4 and 5 pistols had the same grip texture, but six days in elk camp with cold hands got me wondering why my Gen 5 pistol felt a lot more “grippy” than a Gen 4 I had with me. When I started looking carefully, I realized that the finger grooves on the Gen 4 are not textured. Since the finger grooves are raised up, they become a significant part of your hand contact with the pistol. Now I guess you could texture the finger grooves, but with stock pistols, I find the Gen 5 significantly easier to hold with cold, less pliable hands.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    I’ve thought that the grip was improved on the Gen 5 pistols but I honestly just figured that my remaining Gen 4 carry gun had just been worn down a little over the years. Your observation makes much more sense.
    In thinking about this I’ll say that the Gen 4 guns felt as if they “ locked in” to the hand where the Gen 5 feels more like it’s my grip holding it if that makes any kinda sense.

Site Supporter
    I feel the finger grooves on the Gen 4 guns make me feel as if my grip is more secure when in fact it isn’t. I put 3m stair tape on my gen 4 and gen 5’s. My favorite texture is the RTF2.

Site Supporter
    I can't find the edit button so this is an old fart edit.

I think a lot depends on the molds Glock uses on how sharp the texture is even with the same generations. I have original Gen 3 RTF2 Glock 17 and 19 guns. The texture is more pronounced than with the LAV Gen 3 RTF2's I have.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I can't find the edit button so this is an old fart edit.

I think a lot depends on the molds Glock uses on how sharp the texture is even with the same generations. I have original Gen 3 RTF2 Glock 17 and 19 guns. The texture is more pronounced than with the LAV Gen 3 RTF2's I have.
    I have RTF2 17 and 19 also. I found that they hardly wore down in lighter range use when I was shooting other Gen 3s and 4s a lot.

But a weekend class with each and they each became noticeably less bitey although still a strong texture. But I miss that 20 LPI feel.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I actually always found the gen4 full size guns to give me slightly better trigger control due to the finger grooves helping lock in my grip, but on the g19 sized frame where my fingers didn’t fit the finger grooves the gen5 is much better.

Other than the RTF guns, the G5’s are the only Glocks I don’t feel the need to stipple/add grip tape. The only thing I think they need is an undercut trigger guard to deal with Glock knuckle.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post
    In thinking about this I’ll say that the Gen 4 guns felt as if they “ locked in” to the hand where the Gen 5 feels more like it’s my grip holding it if that makes any kinda sense.
    That's a great description and I'm noticing the same thing. I get to play with my brother's Gen 4 every now and then and when I go back to my Gen 5, that's probably what I'm feeling although I would never have noticed it if you hadn't described it that way.

Site Supporter
    When the Gen 6's come out with finger grooves everyone will buy one and Glock will be designing the Gen 7's without.

User Tag List