Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubby chrono day: LCR .357 and 442

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

My ideal fantasy land is that S&W designs a 9mm 340 ultralight with a shorter 9mm length cylinder/frame. And then uses that shorter cylinder to offer a longer barrel while keeping it J-frame OAL. IE so like a short cylinder with 2.25-2.5" barrel.
    I had the same thought but for 38SC instead of 9mm. You could use all the same parts as 38 Special except the chopped cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    The M&P340 is 13.8oz and I would love one in 9mm... Me and 17 other people.
    I keep thinking I’m going to send one out for conversion.

The Taurus 380 shooting Underwood 380 is about as close as I think we are going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Have you seen any of the 9mm or 380 revolvers pull the bullets out of the case under recoil?

Plus, these 9mm LCRs are hard to find!
    I haven’t had any bullet pull issues but for 9mm I try and stay 124 gr or higher.

Weight is actually why I wasn't interested in the 9mm LCR; I dont want to exceed 16oz loaded for pocket carry, which the M&P 340 just squeeks by with. And all the .38 +p loads seem marginal in realiability, leaving only the 'short barrel' optimized .357s for carry. Being able to just use regular 9mm +p JHP that I stock in bulk would be wonderful

My ideal fantasy land is that S&W designs a 9mm 340 ultralight with a shorter 9mm length cylinder/frame. And then uses that shorter cylinder to offer a longer barrel while keeping it J-frame OAL. IE so like a short cylinder with 2.25-2.5" barrel.

Since the revolver cylinder is the main weight generator, this could also shave weight down to the ~12oz zone.
    Taurus 380 with hot 380 is about all we are going to get I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    My 9mm LCR never did with any commercial ammo. It also nearly survived 2k rounds with no maintenance (screw came loose with 20 rounds to go). They are super revolvers, but kind of unpleasant to shoot (for me).
    Yeah, I don’t think anything lighter would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    OK, that's good to know. I was just worried that it was a 1/75 rounds have issues type deal. Now to find one in stock!!
    No issues with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    The M&P340 is 13.8oz and I would love one in 9mm... Me and 17 other people.

Weight is actually why I wasn't interested in the 9mm LCR; I dont want to exceed 16oz loaded for pocket carry, which the M&P 340 just squeeks by with. And all the .38 +p loads seem marginal in realiability, leaving only the 'short barrel' optimized .357s for carry. Being able to just use regular 9mm +p JHP that I stock in bulk would be wonderful

Since the revolver cylinder is the main weight generator, this could also shave weight down to the ~12oz zone.

Terrible sketch of the concept.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...0227#gallery-2

Except that it’s double the weight, lol.

I’m tempted to try the 6 shot Taurus J-frame ish.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Except that it’s double the weight, lol.

I’m tempted to try the 6 shot Taurus J-frame ish.
    Ti cylinder with the longer barrel extending into the frame window. Just showing that S&W has done what spydercomonkey wants, albeit in a steel L-frame instead of a scandium J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Ti cylinder with the longer barrel extending into the frame window. Just showing that S&W has done what spydercomonkey wants, albeit in a steel L-frame instead of a scandium J-frame.
    They also did it in the N frame 929.

Excellent, thank you. Thats actually better than my sketch, in that far less R&D / new design work would be required vs creating a shortened frame.

Now just to convince s&w to make the 9mm 340...

Excellent, thank you. Thats actually better than my sketch, in that far less R&D / new design work would be required vs creating a shortened frame.

Now just to convince s&w to make the 9mm 340...
    Well, Ruger is on board but they're moving in the wrong direction size-wise:

I am enjoying this thread.
    I have a 340 and a 360PD, and I like the lightweight. I also (still...) wish they would do the 3" 360 again.
    But I also have been wanting to try reloading some 357 with several of the really fast powders I have on hand (Titegroup, 700X, Clays) and see if it changes the blast levels.
    I have some of the short barrel Gold Dot but it seems harsher than the Critical Defense I carry.
    All I want is something that would mimic the 147g G2 in my pistol.
    And I am also curious about the LCR, but wish they did the 9mm on an aluminum frame. If S&W can do the even lighter Scandium in 357 it should be achievable, probably an issue with casting the aluminum and stainless must not translate over to a stronger alloy.

ETA: 3" 360PD in 9mm - Come on Man, there has to be dozens of us. DOZENS!!!

User Tag List