Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubby chrono day: LCR .357 and 442

I am indeed curious to try a 9mm LCR. The .357 LCR is new to me, primarily because I had a decent stash of the short barrel magnum load that needed a launcher, as I foolishly sold all my .357 snubbies to colleagues over the years.

Now, this is a bit of a tangent, but pertinent to 9mm revolvers:

The 2" revolver is a special purpose/low profile/low threat weapon for me at this point. I trained seriously with them for decades, and maintain my skills, but they're not a weapon I carry frequently outside the house -- although I do often bring one on vacations, if I'm flying somewhere low-risk. Revolvers can be loaded and pocket-holstered quickly and easily when you reach your destination.

Has anyone flown with loaded moon clips? If so, how did you secure them? I'm thinking a few loaded clips inside a pill bottle, inside the gun box, should fit the letter and spirit of the regs...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I am indeed curious to try a 9mm LCR. The .357 LCR is new to me, primarily because I had a decent stash of the short barrel magnum load that needed a launcher, as I foolishly sold all my .357 snubbies to colleagues over the years.

Now, this is a bit of a tangent, but pertinent to 9mm revolvers:

The 2" revolver is a special purpose/low profile/low threat weapon for me at this point. I trained seriously with them for decades, and maintain my skills, but they're not a weapon I carry frequently outside the house -- although I do often bring one on vacations, if I'm flying somewhere low-risk. Revolvers can be loaded and pocket-holstered quickly and easily when you reach your destination.

Has anyone flown with loaded moon clips? If so, how did you secure them? I'm thinking a few loaded clips inside a pill bottle, inside the gun box, should fit the letter and spirit of the regs...no?
    You definitely should! The 9mm LCR is one of the best revolvers out there from an overall performance in the niche.

This is from TSA:
    Ammunition
    Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
    Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
    Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Depending on how you interpret them (and also depending on the requirements of specific airlines to have ammo packaged in a different box than the firearm)... if you consider a moon clip an ammunition clip, the absolute best way of doing this would be:

Revolver in a box. Unloaded moon clips in a box. Bring a mooning tool.

Separate factory box of ammo.

Load moons in the rental car and put in pocket.

Most 9mm revolvers will still shoot 9mm without moons, you just can't unload them easily.

So in a pinch you could just throw loose rounds in the chamber and load a moon at your hotel. But test the function of moonless 9mm before you go. I've had guns that lose 30-50fps without a moon as well (no "sealing plate" without the moon).

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

That's why instead of a 357 mag snubbie I'd pick a 9mm every day.
    If only S&W would make the M&P 340 / 340PD in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    If only S&W would make the M&P 340 / 340PD in 9mm.
    I think those guns are a little on the light side to shoot 9mm. Most people choose to shoot 38 special in them.

Which is why I started testing the Taurus 380 revolver. 14 ounces and smaller than a J frame.

I think those guns are a little on the light side to shoot 9mm. Most people choose to shoot 38 special in them.

Which is why I started testing the Taurus 380 revolver. 14 ounces and smaller than a J frame.
    The M&P340 is 13.8oz and I would love one in 9mm... Me and 17 other people.

Have you seen any of the 9mm or 380 revolvers pull the bullets out of the case under recoil?

Plus, these 9mm LCRs are hard to find!

Weight is actually why I wasn't interested in the 9mm LCR; I dont want to exceed 16oz loaded for pocket carry, which the M&P 340 just squeeks by with. And all the .38 +p loads seem marginal in realiability, leaving only the 'short barrel' optimized .357s for carry. Being able to just use regular 9mm +p JHP that I stock in bulk would be wonderful

My ideal fantasy land is that S&W designs a 9mm 340 ultralight with a shorter 9mm length cylinder/frame. And then uses that shorter cylinder to offer a longer barrel while keeping it J-frame OAL. IE so like a short cylinder with 2.25-2.5" barrel.

Since the revolver cylinder is the main weight generator, this could also shave weight down to the ~12oz zone.

Terrible sketch of the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Weight is actually why I wasn't interested in the 9mm LCR; I dont want to exceed 16oz loaded for pocket carry, which the M&P 340 just squeeks by with. And all the .38 +p loads seem marginal in realiability, leaving only the 'short barrel' optimized .357s for carry. Being able to just use regular 9mm +p JHP that I stock in bulk would be wonderful

My ideal fantasy land is that S&W designs a 9mm 340 ultralight with a shorter 9mm length cylinder/frame. And then uses that shorter cylinder to offer a longer barrel while keeping it J-frame OAL. IE so like a short cylinder with 2.25-2.5" barrel.

Since the revolver cylinder is the main weight generator, this could also shave weight down to the ~12oz zone.

Terrible sketch of the concept.

Excellent idea! It won't happen but I love the concept.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Have you seen any of the 9mm or 380 revolvers pull the bullets out of the case under recoil?

Plus, these 9mm LCRs are hard to find!

My 9mm LCR never did with any commercial ammo. It also nearly survived 2k rounds with no maintenance (screw came loose with 20 rounds to go). They are super revolvers, but kind of unpleasant to shoot (for me).

OK, that's good to know. I was just worried that it was a 1/75 rounds have issues type deal. Now to find one in stock!!

User Tag List