Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Snubby chrono day: LCR .357 and 442

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    A small revolver is strictly a fire til empty then throw/pistol whip if necessary proposition for me though.
    Totally. If there ever is a crazy ban on semiautos, I’ll carry two scandium J frames…

22 oz total and 10 shots between the guns. It’s kind of like a modern semi right?

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive looked and havent found it but if I recall correctly its basically Murphys Law and a bound up gun. Darryls pretty active on his own social media.

I found this by Caleb @jetfire

https://gatdaily.com/how-to-reload-your-small-revolver/

A note on moon clips

A quick note here – the reason I don’t talk about moonclips is because for very small revolvers like the LCR and J-Frame, I genuinely don’t like moon clips. When you shrink the clip that much, it becomes a lot more fragile than the clips for large guns like the GP100 or an N-frame S&W. Big guns: big thick clips which are sturdy. Little guns: tiny flimsy clips that easily bend. Hard pass.
    To flesh this out a little bit: I had two pretty significantly bad experiences with moonclips in small guns. One was a national championship match which cost me at least 2 places in the final standings, and another was testing a small 9mm revolver from a 3rd tier manufacturer. Those were bad enough to put me off my feed on the idea of clipped cartridges in things the size of a j-frame.

That being said, I'm also willing to re-explore that experience with something like a 9mm LCR, because my experience with Ruger's moonclips has been positive so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    To flesh this out a little bit: I had two pretty significantly bad experiences with moonclips in small guns. One was a national championship match which cost me at least 2 places in the final standings, and another was testing a small 9mm revolver from a 3rd tier manufacturer. Those were bad enough to put me off my feed on the idea of clipped cartridges in things the size of a j-frame.

That being said, I'm also willing to re-explore that experience with something like a 9mm LCR, because my experience with Ruger's moonclips has been positive so far.
    I'll expand on this. I have a pretty spectacular set of scars on my left hand from trying to unload a S&W 940 that bound up tight on first loading with their factory moonclips. That experience taught me a LOT, not the least of which is sometimes the juice of "ammo compatibility" isn't worth the squeeze of engineering compromises to achieve it. For me, snubbies are built for rimmed revolver cartridges - that's the only kind of round guns I'll carry anymore.

YMMV and all that, of course...

User Tag List