Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your AR's at home

I also have no children and keep my AR with a loaded mag empty chamber, safety on while at home, and stowed in the safe when away. As I live in a multi unit building, the AR with fragging 75-77gr HP's is a better solution FOR ME than a shotgun.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

When I'm home the rifle is out of the gun safe. I keep it with a loaded magazine in the gun, empty chamber, safety on, aimpoint on.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I've completely given up keeping mine at home. They're prone to stray.

Bedside gun is kept with an empty chamber and a 30 round mag inserted.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Loaded mag, empty chamber, safety on, in the safe.

But I do have small children in the house, so handguns are definitely the primary weapon for both my wife & I. A situation where it lasts long enough for me to deploy the AR? Unlikely unless Red Dawn happens out here in suburban Atlanta somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    My reasoning was basically that it was much more likely that I'd be burglarized while I was away, and I'd rather lose a $150 shotgun than a $1500 AR.
    Big +1.

Rifles and high quality items stowed away in a non movable (at least for the intruders) safe.

Fighting but on a budget shotgun at the ready for home invasion.

-DBLAction454

To the OP: why store the long gun with the safety off?

Called "cruiser-ready," in some circles: Ensure empty gun, disengage safety, pull the trigger on an empty chamber, no NOT cycle the bolt, insert magazine.

On most AR-pattern guns, the safety cannot be engaged when the hammer's forward (the HK416/M27 can, I'm uncertain of any others), so the weapon isn't really "hot" until the CH is cycled, and the idea is that all one has to do is yank the CH to be ready to go.

Pointing out that one must now remember to engage the safety if there's no immediate need to shoot is a valid concern. If one's kids are strong enough to pull the CH themselves, it's very little different than just leaving the thing in Condition 1.

I have no kids, so I just leave mine in Condition 1.

Because of the critters the AR stays in the big safe with a bag of magazines next to it.

The home defense handgun is in a heavy duty pistol box on the night stand.

If ShotLock ( http://www.shotlock.com/ ) ever makes an AR version I might get one.

I will very soon have an ar in the house for the purpose of being the primary hd gun in the house, i am considering the choice of condition one vs cruiser ready. I am i right that an ar is not drop safe? Is condition one a liability if the rifle could be knocked over? I would prefer condition one but the drop safety issue is making me think cruiser ready is the way to go
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

It's about as likely to slam-fire if dropped or knocked over as you are to be elected Pope.

Meaning, yes, it's possible, but only on a level of likelihood that doesn't justify worry on any practical level.

User Tag List