Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you keep your AR's at home

Quote Originally Posted by digiadaamore View Post
    I will very soon have an ar in the house for the purpose of being the primary hd gun in the house, i am considering the choice of condition one vs cruiser ready. I am i right that an ar is not drop safe? Is condition one a liability if the rifle could be knocked over? I would prefer condition one but the drop safety issue is making me think cruiser ready is the way to go
    I've seen Condition 1 loaded carbines launched out of helicopters, and launched from 5 story buildings. Theoretically a drop fire could happen. But if 5 stories won't do it, or 60' out of a helicopter, not likely that it falling over from the nightstand will do it either.

I just keep mine like I keep my girl..............cleared, condition 4, and locked in the safe.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I just keep mine like I keep my girl..............cleared, condition 4, and locked in the safe.
    I'm not the tactics police or anything, but for me, in my ao and with my roe's, this would make for too much work every time I needed a sandwich...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I've seen Condition 1 loaded carbines launched out of helicopters, and launched from 5 story buildings. Theoretically a drop fire could happen. But if 5 stories won't do it, or 60' out of a helicopter, not likely that it falling over from the nightstand will do it either.

Ah good first hand experience, how did the guns fare? Still fully functional?
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

Yeah, I'm a big man when she isn't looking over my shoulder at what I type. And I have some breathing room between me and the dog house for awhile.

Yes, the guns survived the falls. Of course, 99% of the domestic shooting world probably would have cried due to cosmetic blemishes.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 10-28-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    No kids in the house.

Stored behind a closed door where the cats can't knock it over or anything, and "cruiser ready"*, with a full mag, empty chamber, and safety off. The single-point sling is coiled up with a rubber band and there's a second loaded mag next to the gun to be grabbed and stuffed in a pocket or waistband.

In any scenario where I have time to go get the long gun, the plan is to charge it up and either shoot the bad guy (if there is one who is an immediate threat) right then and there, or put the safety on and bunker down with the cell phone and await the cavalry.

*The "cruiser ready" part isn't because I'm a'feared of the gun going off or anything, but because the gun is handled administratively a jillion times more often than it is For Realz. That, and the carbine is not the First Line Of Defense at Roseholme Cottage. If I've got time to run get the long gun, then I've got time to juice it up. If pirates, zombies, and ninjas are spilling through broken windows all of a sudden, I'll be using the pistol on my hip, not running to fetch a rifle, Clint Smith (PBUH) to the contrary...
    Last edited by Tamara; 10-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List