Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial.

So, if we think Rittenhouse made a poor choice to involve himself, do we think the same of the Weapon Snatcher? Or are we basing our perspective on outcomes?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I like to compare this event to how the community of Snohomish, WA handled their big protest...
    On a tangent, I didn't remember that one, so I had to look it up. It's a bit disheartening that pretty much all the press talks about "while-supremacist militias."

EDIT: "peaceful" protesters facing down "supremacist militias". Makes me wonder why they were so peaceful.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I wonder how old all the guys at Concord were?
    History reports this 78-year-old guy scored a hat trick too. Samuel Whittemore

https://warriorsoulagoge.com/samuel-...dnt-be-killed/

On April 19, 1775, British forces were returning to Boston from the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the opening engagements of the war. On their march, they were continually shot at by colonial militiamen.

Whittemore was in his fields when he spotted an approaching British relief brigade under Earl Percy, sent to assist the retreat. Whittemore loaded his musket and ambushed the British Grenadiers of the 47th Regiment of Foot from behind a nearby stone wall, killing one soldier. He then drew his dueling pistols, killed a secondgrenadier and mortally wounded a third. By the time Whittemore had fired his third shot, a British detachment had reached his position; Whittemore drew his sword and attacked.[7] He was subsequently shot in the face, bayoneted numerous times, and left for dead in a pool of blood. He was found by colonial forces trying to load his musket to resume the fight. He was taken to Dr. Cotton Tufts of Medford, who perceived no hope for his survival. However, Whittemore recovered and lived another 18 years until dying of natural causes at the age of 96.

Site Supporter
    Fashion Tips from a 30 yr atty/24 yr prosecutor re appearing in front of a jury:

The only colors your dress shirt in front of the jury should be are solid white or solid blue.

Ergo the only color your pocket square should be is solid white or solid blue

If you are going to wear a lapel pin, pin in thru the the "lapel" button hole, NEVER the lapel itself. Why would punch what will have to be a permanent hole in your suit unless you move the hole in which case you are making multiple, visible holes.

Unless you ran on and were resoundingly reelected on a Star Wars themed campaign, I would humbly submit that your lapel pen ought to reflect a connection to the law i.e.
    an organizational seal, a flag, scales of justice, perhaps a miniature of a military ribbon or badge earned in certain locales. NOT the Millenium Falcon because you will never be Han Solo.

I confess my vanity has allowed an Eagle Scout Dad pin and a Girl Scout Gold Award Dad pin which frankly were mistakes because they could have distracted a juror trying to figure out what they were.

FWIW/YMMV
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I want to get my .02 cents in

Gadfly posts about the professionals, but, the professionals were not getting much accomplished that summer, maybe a little mop up-at least that is how it appeared to me in flyover country. (Gadfly, I like your posts, so I am not attacking you....)

The rioters were doing more than physical damage. The broke the social contract. They stole part of the town, they stopped free passage, they disrupted EMS and other services. I submit that their overall damage to "social fabric" is SIGNIFICANT. Were you going to work those days of the riot, good luck getting through that area. I can imagine the cops, who were not really stopping the riots, were very pleasant to deal with when they diverted normal people trying to get their life accomplished.

I think a lot of us support him BECAUSE the political overlords and the police and prosecutors were doing little to stop this. BUT when Rittenhouse et al acted, the police/prosecutors/political types are all for prosecuting him. See the problem? If you don't, then you should consider that you MAY BE PART of the problem.

( and i stipulate that he probably should not have been there, but maybe it was good people were trying to help)

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    So, Grosskreutz had a gun in his hand but didn't intend to use it? Even if that were true, how was Rittenhouse supposed to know that?

Now, all that said, I could buy that Grosskreutz thought Rittenhouse was an active shooter. That's at least within the realm of plausibility.

I do wonder if any of the people involved ever wonder what would have happened if they just hadn't shown up for the riot?
    So if Grosskreutz shoots Rittenhouse, does he not also become an active shooter? Then does he become a target for everyone to attack in a riot? I don't think some people understand what a riot is. It's a lot of people doing a lot of crazy shit including shooting people. There are no rules. If you shoot someone you could be prosecuted like Rittenhouse. If you happen to be looking for someone to shoot (Grosskreutz) and end up being the one that gets shot, that shouldn't be a foul except he was CC without a permit.

They would have culled me from that jury in about 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-09-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Gadfly posts about the professionals, but, the professionals were not getting much accomplished that summer, maybe a little mop up-at least that is how it appeared to me in flyover country. (Gadfly, I like your posts, so I am not attacking you....)

The rioters were doing more than physical damage. The broke the social contract. They stole part of the town, they stopped free passage, they disrupted EMS and other services. I submit that their overall damage to "social fabric" is SIGNIFICANT. Were you going to work those days of the riot, good luck getting through that area. I can imagine the cops, who were not really stopping the riots, were very pleasant to deal with when they diverted normal people trying to get their life accomplished.

I think a lot of us support him BECAUSE the political overlords and the police and prosecutors were doing little to stop this. BUT when Rittenhouse et al acted, the police/prosecutors/political types are all for prosecuting him. See the problem? If you don't, then you should consider that you MAY BE PART of the problem.

( and i stipulate that he probably should not have been there, but maybe it was good people were trying to help)
    I totally get it. (And glad you like my posts…) You think the local/state police did not want to shut shit down? They did. You think the local politicians would allow it? Nope. It was never a lack of ability and desire to move it. It was all political points, and tribal virtue signaling.

Look, I get the sentiment. Totally. I was watching in total frustration as many of you were. I wanted to see that shit stopped. March in the streets, beat your drums, chant, sing, wave signs…. But once you start the burning and looting, it needs to get shut down. That stuff got out of control in cities where it was allowed to get out of control. Many other cities saw protest, but the police moved in early and often before things got out of hand. (Looking at you Houston).

Roof Koreans holding there ground around their business and homes is inspirational, and gets to the heart of the 2nd A. People banding together or solo in the face of violence is inspirational.

But what if one roof Korean is breaking off from his business and 20 friends, and wandering off into the Rodney King Riots solo? Inspirational? I guess that depends on the outcome. Did he survive, or did he get Reginald Denny’ed by a brick to the head and have brain damage for life?

In the world of “what if”… What if the kid had his rifle taken by the Pedo early on, and “straight from the psych ward” Pedo now has a rifle in the chaos? Is Kyle still inspirational? What if the kid was beaten to death with a skateboard or brick to the head? How would the PF masses be speaking of him? The kid came out alive against 3 guys none of us have any sympathy for. His family will be bankrupted by legal fees, he is still subject to civil suit, and his name probably keep him from getting into college or jobs for at least a decade. I guess that’s a “win”, in that he is alive.

I did not expect my comments to get folks so riled up…. I am glad we have a 2A self defense win pending in court. I am not glad to see the kid have his world fucked, and call it a “win” for him.

There is as a whole lot of stupid going on that night.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    A reasonably balanced article by the NY Times clearly pointing in the direction of SD for not guilty on the shooting charges. The gun charges maybe: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/u...e=articleShare

The comments are for the most part stupid. A few pointing out Kyle was stupid for being there but his SD claim is legit. Some denouncing guns in general. A couple denouncing both Kyle and Arm Dude for bringing guns to the incident. Here's a nuance - one commentator is
    S.M. Stirling
    Santa Fe, NM48m ago

@Geoff He’s going to walk, judging by the testimony.
    Stirling is the author of the Islands in the Sea of Time triology and other alternative history thrillers. Some are good, some are bad. He has some gun knowledge as Islands as how you develop a gun industry when a small Island - Nantucket bounces back to the Bronze Age. One plot point was that the Sheriff of Nantucket confiscated the local firearms for a town arsenal and some anti burned them up. I corresponded with him and said a TX town - never happen. He agreed but said it was a plot point such that there were not lots of ARs, etc. around.

PS - in the article there is a picture of a detective carrying the rifle used. That's common in such trials, I think. I remember in the DC sniper trial, the DA assembled the gun in front of the jury. Wonder why? I imagine it is evidence but prolonged exposure and exaggerated posturing is not good for the defense. However, it's probably not a big deal here. Arm boy sealed reasonable doubt IMHO. Also, he was carrying illegally, not a posture child for responsible left wing gun usage, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    at least that is how it appeared to me in flyover country.
    As an alternate perspective here's how it appeared to me from ground zero, a couple blocks from where Garret Foster was shot, not much further from where a business was burned, while I was watching thousands of people vandalizing shit on Congress Ave from one street over: I don't need more randos showing up, throwing gas on the fire and providing me with even more people I have to keep an eye on while I'm going about my daily business. Kinda hard for someone to say they're on "my side" when I've never met them, they can't pick me out of a crowd and we aren't on a first-name basis. Which is why city, county and state first responders wear uniforms.

The reality on the ground is that Rittenhouse and co didn't even move the needle on the events of that summer so the "help" they provided, regardless of intent, was ultimately fruitless. And the downside was that everyone who lived in any of these social experiments now had to account for even more armed belligerents ready to throw down at the drop of a hat. It's great if someone sees a noble culture warrior when you look at Rittenhouse, but to me he looks like another armed rando I don't know strolling through my neighborhood. Which is to say, yet another potential threat when I've already got to manage more potential threats than I know what to do with.

Disorganized, untrained, haphazardly applied "help" can do more harm than good.

Site Supporter
    @Eric_L and @jh9, really appreciate your differing viewpoints on this, you’re both helping to keep my mind more open on the subject.

User Tag List