Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial.

Site Supporter
    Just a touch of a rant. I see folks complaining that Kyle was even charged. What is this nation coming to? OMG. So, in today's news, a young man was convicted of sexually assaulting 4 teenage girls. The sentence should have been some prison time but the Judge gave him 8 years of probation because Your Honor didn't see that prison time would have any purpose because the young man was remorseful. I note the young man comes from the affluent area of very large and very old money and mansions. What a surprise. There is some community outrage. Can one say affluenza yet again? The judge is retiring soon, what a coincidence.

Bah.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just a touch of a rant. I see folks complaining that Kyle was even charged. What is this nation coming to? OMG. So, in today's news, a young man was convicted of sexually assaulting 4 teenage girls. The sentence should have been some prison time but the Judge gave him 8 years of probation because Your Honor didn't see that prison time would have any purpose because the young man was remorseful. I note the young man comes from the affluent area of very large and very old money and mansions. What a surprise. There is some community outrage. Can one say affluenza yet again? The judge is retiring soon, what a coincidence.

Bah.
    You wouldn't want to ruin some promising young man's life with prison time, doncha know.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So, my wife was watching commentary from several lawyers talking about self-defense regarding this case.
    She found statements from Andrew Branca to be interesting and useful.

I seem to remember comments here (on P-F) about a defense lawyer who had no cases in states were he was commenting, and whose office address is the same as a Mailboxes Etc, or UPS Store in Colorado.

Is Andrew Branca that guy, or am I thinking of someone else?

ETA - he does seem to list the same address as a UPS store in Castle Rock Colorado.
    More information, reminders, or opinion is welcome.
    https://lawofselfdefense.com/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Bah.
    Yeah. Well you ought to see the hoodrat catch and release plan going on around here. Shootings daily. We've had shooters/murderers commit other murders while out on bond. Active sentences for just about anybody are rare these days. Courts are dismissing damn near everything. Many former and current colleagues dont bother with enforcement any more except for violent, in-progress stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Yeah. Well you ought to see the hoodrat catch and release plan going on around here. Shootings daily. We've had shooters/murderers commit other murders while out on bond. Active sentences for just about anybody are rare these days. Courts are dismissing damn near everything. Many former and current colleagues dont bother with enforcement any more except for violent, in-progress stuff.
    You are describing Minneapolis to a tee.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

So how many days before a mistrial is called? Is there a general rule of thumb? Can the judge tell the jury "your hung and done" or does it have to be the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So how many days before a mistrial is called? Is there a general rule of thumb? Can the judge tell the jury "your hung and done" or does it have to be the other way around?
    Generally the jury has to announce they’re not able to reach a verdict. In my state, there is a “try harder” instruction that may be given or the judge may accept that at face value. Otherwise, it runs until they’re done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Here's one that took 4.5 months:

"In the annals of lengthy jury deliberation perhaps the longest ever was the famous Long Beach California case in 1992, which took 11 years getting to trial, involved 6 months of testimony, and four and a half months of jury deliberations."

That seems to be McClure v. City of Long Beach if you want to google.

This might be one I heard of years ago, where apparently the jurors decided spending the day in the jury room beat being at home with their spouses or whatever and were bringing in board games and so on, rather than actually deliberating.

source: https://janetpanic.com/what-is-the-l...on-in-history/ (no idea if that's a reputable source)

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post

This might be one I heard of years ago, where apparently the jurors decided spending the day in the jury room beat being at home with their spouses or whatever and were bringing in board games and so on, rather than actually deliberating.
    I wouldn't mind deliberating with the Swedish Bikini Team.

Site Supporter
    As an aside, when called for jury duty, we waited in a large room to be called for voir dire. So we played Monopoly and watched games on the TV. The crowd got noisy and a bailiff came in and yelled at us to shut up. Well, the group told him we were Americans and go ... So a judge came in and politely asked us to keep it down. I was chosen for an insurance case where a guy insures his bar. It burns down the next day. The agent never sent in the payment so there was no insurance. He was sued by the owner. The agent's defense was that he didn't know what the word 'subsequent' meant. We, the jury, laughed out loud and the judge yelled at us. We found for the owner, who probably burned his bar down.

User Tag List