Page 70 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial.

So apparently I'm not keeping up. Disregarding the homicide chargest there's also apparently two charges of First-degree recklessly endangering safety which the state defines as

Whoever recklessly endangers another's safety under circumstances which show utter disregard for human life is guilty of a Class F felony
    and for context adds:

Section 941.30 is a lesser included offense of s. 940.01, 1st-degree homicide. State v. Weeks, 165 Wis. 2d 200, 477 N.W.2d 642 (Ct. App. 1991).
    A conviction under sub. (1) was proper when the defendant desisted from an attack but showed no regard for the victim's life or safety during the attack. State v. Holtz, 173 Wis. 2d 515, 496 N.W.2d 668 (Ct. App. 1992).
    What were the specifics of the recklessly endangering safety charges?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    You are describing Minneapolis to a tee.
    Albuquerque, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Generally the jury has to announce they’re not able to reach a verdict. In my state, there is a “try harder” instruction that may be given or the judge may accept that at face value. Otherwise, it runs until they’re done.
    Arizona has a similar instruction:

This is offered to help you, not to force you to reach a verdict.

As jurors, you have a duty to discuss the case with one another and to deliberate in an effort to reach a just verdict. Each of you must decide the case for yourself, but only after you consider the evidence impartially with your fellow jurors. During your deliberations, you should not hesitate to re-examine your own views and change your opinion if you become convinced that it is wrong. However, you should not change your belief concerning the weight or effect of the evidence solely because of the opinions of your fellow jurors, or for the mere purpose of returning a verdict.
    You may wish to identify areas of agreement and disagreement and then discuss the law and the evidence as they relate to the areas of disagreement.

If you still disagree, you may wish to tell the attorneys and me which issues, questions, law or facts you would like us to assist you with. If you decide to follow these steps, please write down the issues where further assistance might help bring about a verdict and give the note to the bailiff. The attorneys and I will then discuss your note and try to help you.
    I do not wish or intend to force a verdict. We are merely trying to be responsive to your apparent need for help. If it is possible that you could reach a verdict as a result of this procedure, you should consider doing so.

Please take a few minutes and discuss this instruction among yourselves. Then advise me in writing of whether we can attempt to assist you in the manner indicated above or whether you do not believe that such assistance and additional deliberation would assist you in reaching a verdict.

https://www.azbar.org/media/jl5lzdpl...nal-5th-ed.pdf, Standard Criminal 53

A look at beliefs affecting perception of video evidence:
    ———-
    …She said even when people look at the same photo or video, they come away with their own conclusions.

Balcetis and her research team showed people video evidence depicting two men engaged in a physical altercation. They used hidden, eye-tracking technology to record where viewers looked.

"We discovered some people looked more at one of the men than the other," she said.

This was an important development. It was evidence of how those viewers connected with one of the men in the fight with the other, she said. That connection altered how those viewers saw what was on the video.

"People who already sided with, or felt connected to, one of the defendants misremembered what he did in ways that incriminated him," Balcetis said. "They thought he was more aggressive and wrongly believed he used unwarranted force. And this happened the more they focused their visual attention on him."

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/19/10571...-evidence-bias

————
    For me, the message here is not “Those people are biased and wrong”, but that this is another way that political polarization makes it harder for anybody to get a fair trail.
    Last edited by peterb; 11-19-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I wouldn't mind deliberating with the Swedish Bikini Team.

Oh man, I managed to save some of the transparent cliparts of the prosecution but they're on my phone and I'm too lazy to figure out how to mount it to my computer through the terminal and get them. I want fatty with his wand in this photo so bad.

The rumor is that the jury is coming in.

Law and Crime twitted the families of those killed were told to go to the courthouse.
    Last edited by 5pins; 11-19-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Branca says

11:55 a.m.: Reports that Huber family is coming into courtroom.

11:54 a.m.: Law & Crime reports that family of those killed are being asked to come into courtroom.

11:53 a.m.: Seems like a false alarm, that court was coming back in.

11:49 a.m.: Some rumors possible verdict, doesn’t seem very solid. But looks like court may be coming into session in live stream above.

To put the worst face on it, does that mean the families of the "victims" are to get to see the killer sent up?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

103PM Eastern time judge says ‘verdict has been reached’

113PM Eastern

Count 1 Not Guilty
    Count 2 Not Guilty
    Count 3 Not Guilty
    Count 4 Not Guilty
    Count 5 Not Guilty

Not Guilty on all counts!
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List