Page 88 of 93 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial.

Site Supporter
    I haven’t seen anything about protests in Kenosha. Has it been quiet there?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I haven’t seen anything about protests in Kenosha. Has it been quiet there?
    That seemed like a question worth looking into. It appears that the general citizenry of Kenosha are still acting like, well, citizens, and not fools. Frankly, that city currently appears to be a model for several other metro areas to emulate when it comes to this sort of thing:

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/loc...home-top-story
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Surprisingly, there was a riot in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I guess I'm missing the significance of being in a bar. Maybe it's a midwest thing, but a lot of what people call "bars" are actually "taverns" here. It's both perfectly legal and perfectly normal to have families eating in one. Those under 21 can not sit at the actual bar, but are fine in the dining area.
    I'm not interested enough to research whether it was actually a bar, a tavern, or an Applebee's. When I was growing up a bar sold liquor and a tavern sold beer, I still think of them in that respect. As a pre-teen, I spent many Friday and/or Saturday evening's with my parents and there friends at a tavern called Jerry's in LaCrosse, KS. I was accepted, to a point, I could play shuffleboard, but, not pool. Actually, that is where I most often saw my Catholic friends during the school year, as they pretty much disappeared from the 'social whirl' during the school year.

My thoughts on KR are that although he was innocent, he showed extremely poor judgement. From what I've read, many others posting on this thread have essentially the same thought.

My thoughts are that giving KR a pass because 'he was just 17' isn't necessarily a correct call when you look at the glaring fact that he is a high school drop out. Despite anecdotal stories of drop outs who succeed, for most folks dropping out is the first step in a process that ends them up on the bottom rung. That alone says something for his judgement.

I think KR was going down a rocky road before the shooting. Add the likely effects of PTSD to that situation and I'm afraid it isn't going to be smooth sailing.

I'm also not discounting the role that parenting may have played in this story.

JMO YMMV
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Wisconsin (outside of the whack-doodle area around Madison) is a pretty blue collar, straight forward place. While the area around Kenosha has ethnically changed a bit over the years, it still resembles some of the hard working areas in and around Chicago. A very good friend of mine lived within blocks of that area, and his widowed wife still does. As a whole, they are die hard Packer fans, view today (opening day of deer season) as a statewide holiday, see ice fishing and drinking beer on a frozen lake as a rite of passage, and generally don’t have time nor patience for the BS that consumes a lot of the “coasts” of this Country. They simply could care less. Some may not agree on whether he should have inserted himself into that situation, but I do believe the jury spoke for the vast majority of the population of the State.

Wisconsin is just a decent place.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Is this correct?

Rittenhouse was acquitted on Friday of all charges in connection to a 2020 shooting during unrest in Kenosha, Wis., in connection to the earlier police shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man. Rittenhouse fatally shot two men and wounded another after traveling from his home state of Illinois with an assault-style rifle to Kenosha; he shot and killed Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, and Anthony Huber, 26, and injured 26-year-old Gaige Grosskreutz. His attorneys argued that he acted in self-defense.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/11/20/10576...several-cities

I thought that rife was legally purchased in Kenosha by one of Kyle's friends and never crossed the state line. I remember him saying that his sister's BF purchased the rifle in WI and sold it to Rittenhouse.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is this correct?

I thought that rife was legally purchased in Kenosha by one of Kyle's friends and never crossed the state line. I remember him saying that his sister's BF purchased the rifle in WI and sold it to Rittenhouse.
    It is not correct. The rifle was stored at his friend's home (both testified to it), in Kenosha, where it was to stay until Kyle turned 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is this correct?

There was no evidence that KR brought the rifle from Illinois. According to testimony, his friend purchased it in northern Wisconsin and kept it at his house in Kenosha. KR testified that his friend told him to run down to the basement to grab it before they headed out for the night. There was no evidence that ownership had transferred from friend to KR.

Well, NPR didn't fact check that story before it was published. Even I, who didn't follow the trial closely, knew it was bogus. I guess it doesn't matter what you throw out there these days as long as you meet a dead line and it serves some political agenda.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    There was no evidence that KR brought the rifle from Illinois. According to testimony, his friend purchased it in northern Wisconsin and kept it at his house in Kenosha. KR testified that his friend told him to run down to the basement to grab it before they headed out for the night. There was no evidence that ownership had transferred from friend to KR.
    That is partially correct. The ownership thing is problematic.

The missing part is KR gave the sisters BF the money and asked SBF to buy the rifle for him and hold it till he was 18.

Technically this was a straw purchase.

User Tag List