Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion Response

Two common things that I read about in accounts of home invasions are unlocked doors and people who open doors for strangers either without asking first or in response to a ruse by the stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Before you buy body armor, a plate carrier and MSA headset to go with your Ops-Core helmet, upgrade your entry doors with deck screws, 3M security film on your beautiful slider, get an alarm and motion lights, etc. to give you time to wake up, grab a gun and a LIGHT and start the missus calling the cavalry.
    I regret that I have only one like to give.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Before you buy body armor, a plate carrier and MSA headset to go with your Ops-Core helmet, upgrade your entry doors with deck screws, 3M security film on your beautiful slider, get an alarm and motion lights, etc. to give you time to wake up, grab a gun and a LIGHT and start the missus calling the cavalry.
    Deter, detect, delay, defend. A good home defense strategy has all those layers.

None of the home invasion robberies I've responded to or that have occurred at my agency would have allowed time to put on body armor or retrieve a long gun that was not immediately at hand. You fight with what you have on you or what you can grab.

I work in a very high end community where home invasions are against normal earth people, not dope rips.

People scoff when I say my home defense weapon is the J-frame in my pajama pocket.

If you have time to don armor, etc. you probably have time to get out, like the victim did in the incident I ran last Friday night. The best gunfight might be the one you miss by virtue of the Chuck Taylor option.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManClemens View Post
    My criticism isn't owning body armor, because I'm sure in certain situations it's warranted. I've argued with others that you simply won't have the time to put it on in many situations. The person I was having the discussion with said, "Well, it only takes 5 seconds to put it on." My response was, "The average gunfight lasts 3 seconds."

With that said, nothing wrong with being prepared and it's better to have it and not need it instead of the other way around.

I have a Fort Knox pistol box at my bedside that gets unlocked and opened before bed and locked once I get up. The shotgun also comes out of the safe and is at the bedside, and goes back in the morning.
    When I prepare for scenarios, I try and run through them as realistically as I can.

The quickest response situation for me is:

Bedside pistol and bedside portable shield. Grab one with each hand and go.

Name:  65045840-041A-43D3-816E-87753AE3B7D2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  95286F53-DF04-4F23-8461-6D792DE3BD2D.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  38.6 KB

That shield is level III+, the way our house is set up an intruder would be only forward facing so I’m willing to compromise rear protection for the fastest deployment. It also allows me to protect my head if that were exposed (around doorway or window).

The other option is a soft IIIA blanket that is under the bed for the family to shelter in place.

Name:  312A9420-96E9-4182-A103-C12F57E9C2E0.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  41.2 KB

USPSA target for size reference.

Blanket on right is a tri-fold and could be used folded or unfolded depending on time.

Unfolded it looks like this:
    Name:  F840B954-554B-45EF-8D46-8B288B089486.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  48.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for appropriate, quick donning body armor.
    I can dig up the companies that I purchased from if people are interested.

And yes, I have ballistically tested all brands I have purchased from to get a sense of deformation and validity of ratings.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My "prepped supplies" is a shoulder holster thrown over the headboard. Pistol, two spare mags, and a flashlight. Shoulder holster so I have a secure means to carry the gun holstered while naked (and I sleep naked, so if you invade my home you are going to get the mental flashbang of a partially shaved bigfoot appearing in the hallway...) and the ability to draw the handgun from the bed if need be. I have a long gun a few steps away if time allows.

The only time I staged body armor is when I had a credible specific threat.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    carry the gun holstered while naked (and I sleep naked, so if you invade my home you are going to get the mental flashbang of a partially shaved bigfoot appearing in the hallway...) and the ability to draw the handgun from the bed if need be. I have a long gun a few steps away if time allows.
    Shock and awe!!!!

Site Supporter
    I have a smaller handgun on me at most times. By the bed, we have (locked easy open case - which is unlocked at night) a Glock, mag and a BUG revolver and a speed loader. Surefire right next to it. Long arms in the closet (which can be locked). They have RDS but that takes time to deploy.

Now, a question, I have a pair of electronic muffs, good to go by the guns. Are they more useful that the armor? What's the priority. Extra pair for the wife if we do have time to gear up.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have a pair of electronic muffs, good to go by the guns. Are they more useful that the armor? What's the priority.
    It depends on whether you want to stop tinnitus or bullets. I don't consider either of them a priority.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I can dig up the companies that I purchased from if people are interested.
    I would be, yes.

Can you mount a light to the shield?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I would be, yes.

Can you mount a light to the shield?
    I’ll look and let you know re: name.

If you’re talking about the hard shield, absolutely. The handle and Y mount are screwed into drill holes. It would be easy to mount a pic rail or other clamp to it.

If talking about the soft shield it might be difficult but you could probably stitch a patch of Velcro or a loop for attachment.

User Tag List