Thread: School Me on What is Happening During DAO Revolver Reset

Hammertime

School Me on What is Happening During DAO Revolver Reset

I have noticed with my S&W 43C (and I assume all S&Ws) that there are three clicks that occur rapid fire during the reset of the trigger.

Can anyone teach me what is happening during each of those clicks? One is earlier, the next two are nearly simultaneous at the end of trigger forward travel. I assume the last one is the sear catching on the notch of the hammer.

Side note: I have noticed the same three clicks on my Ruger revolvers, but they occur over a longer length of stroke in the reset. IMO the Smith reset is a lot nicer.

Google has failed me finding an article online about this so if you know of one please link it.

Hammertime
    I forgot to try Youtube in my search. Found this video which may have answered my question.

Money section at 1:06, watch it as 1/4 speed.

I see:

1. The Hand resets to be able to turn the cylinder again.

Then in rapid succession:

2. The cylinder stop resets to front of the trigger. I was unaware of this one.
    3. the Sear resets on the hammer.

Let me know if I have this wrong. That is a lot of monkey motion. It's amazing they work.

I’ve been using this demo for years:

https://www.genitron.com/Basics/Animations/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

On most if not all the Smiths Ive had (K and N frames), theres a very tiny fraction of movement at the very end of the trigger reset where if its pulled before the hammer sear has re-engaged, you can advance the cylinder without the hammer moving. Ive never ever had it happen when shooting fast DA, but in super slow motion DA operation I can generally repeat it. Its never caused a problem in actual use, so ive never worried about it. Its basically short stroking the trigger on the return. Dont do that, and it wont happen.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'll just add that paying attention to the smoothness of the reset, eliminating friction, roughness and any hitches as much as possible when tuning up the action, makes a big difference in overall perception of smoothness.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is worth sharing:

Three clicks:
    Trigger returning to at rest position on cylinder stop, sliding up into the notch.
    DA sear on hammer returning to at rest position as trigger slides down the sear when it moves forward
    Hand moving down and back, returning to at rest position as trigger moves forward.

All are levers being acted on by springs.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List