Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Condition 2 is neither safe to get into, or out of.

I'd roll with a JMCK IWB3 with the clip or DCC monoblock. That's precisely my home setup with my P250c, but using the now-discontinued CCC Uno.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I hate the whole "Condition" thing.

It's a single action semi-auto. It's made to be carried with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engaged. There is no reason to carry it any other way.

There is absolutely ZERO reason to carry a 1911 or HiPower with a loaded chamber and the hammer down...no reason ever. Chamber a round and put the thumb safety on. Take the thumb safety off just before you're ready to pull the trigger and ride the safety with your thumb while shooting. Practice it enough times and it becomes completely automatic and involves no brain power or thought. Your body just does it automatically. I've never "forgotten" or had trouble taking a thumb safety off a 1911, HiPower or Remington 870 including in times of extreme stress. This worry about thumb safeties on the aforementioned guns causing problems or somehow keeping the gun from being fired intentionally are nothing more than internet speculation and foolishness. In the dozens of officer involved shootings involving the 1911 I've heard about, studied or personally witnessed not once has anyone ever had any issue whatsoever with a thumb safety.

...and yes, I've had the idiotic concerned citizen in a store or restaurant tell me more than once, "Officer, did you know your gun is cocked?" My only reply has always been, "Yes I do. It's supposed to be."

The firing pin safety was introduced to the HiPower mid run of the MkII guns and carried over to the MkIII. Like the 1911, I don't thing they're necessary, but I also don't think they hurt. The hammer accidentally falling is typically not the issue on the 1911 or HiPower when they're dropped. The issue is sometimes a worn out, modified or too light firing pin spring allowing the firing pin to fall forward under inertia if the gun is dropped on its muzzle causing it to strike a primer and fire the gun. Keep a strong firing pin spring in the gun (change it with the recoil spring) and it's typically a non-issue.

Since I don't have a Springfield Armory produced P35 nor have I had the chance to inspect one I cannot tell you if they have one or not. I would guess that they do.
    ...also, I don't recommend Mexican carry if you absolutely don't have to. There are like 9,999,999 holsters that work well and imply clip into your drawers these days. For reasons that I've talked about it other threads in the past the only time a loaded gun is ever out of a holster is if it's in my hand or in a lockbox at the jail during booking. Otherwise it's unloaded or holstered.
    What would you gain by doing that?

You still would have to pull the trigger to lower it to half cock, but why in the world would you want to?

The "half cock" notch on the hammer is there as a safety fail safe should the sear slip so the sear engages that notch rather than allowing the hammer to fall all the way and the gun to go boom.

It isn't meant to be used nor should it be used by the operator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Thumb cocking a Hi Power (or any other SA pistols) at night, due to something happening in the home, is asking for a lot of trouble (including an inadvertent loud bang) in my opinion. If you don't feel the security of condition 1 is enough for you, I suggest you store it chamber empty or use another pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    This strikes me as a cost/benefit analysis I can’t wrap my head around. In order to get the hammer to half-cock, you’d have to press the trigger on a loaded pistol and risk an ND. Who are you worried about grabbing your pistol off the nightstand while you sleep that you’d like to slow down by keeping the hammer at half-cock? Young kids? Home invaders? If children is the worry, a quick access lock box on the night stand would be a lot safer for everyone. If it’s home invaders getting to your nightstand before you wake up, you’ve got more severe problems with home security than how to set up your nightstand gun. If you’re just looking for a second movement to get the gun fireable, what about keeping it in a holster on the night stand? Then you’d have to remove the gun from the holster and deactivate the safety to fire it.
    @Wondering Beard

Totally agree.

Leave it in a holster if it's cocked and locked. Otherwise leave it with a full magazine and empty chamber.

There is no reason to mess with the position of the hammer. If you do you are asking for trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    No. It's not an additional layer of safety, it's an additional layer of risk.
    As Kevin H said, there is no reason to lower the hammer on a SA pistol. I'll add, except to shoot the thing. And that's what you're risking every time you try to lower it. I know, somebody always says they've lowered their hammer every day for 164 years and never had a problem. Well, lucky them.

Triggers are for shooting the gun.
    Any time it's pulled for something else, it's cheating the system, and the system usually wins.

Now, if one must make the gun "safe" and doesn't have a lockbox, just unload it. I'd rather rack the slide than mess around with the hammer, or even insert a mag and rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Sounds like a good way to blast a hole in the fireplace.

I already did that with a marlin 444 so I think I'll pass.
    Name:  A6CE209E-04FC-4FD0-A710-B353A03DD88A.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  28.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Bold! Be sure to post a pic when you get your pistol. I got hyena palm swell pro-slims in hyena brown, which is about as close to wood looking as I could get.
    This will be my semi-auto BBQ gun. I am going to get a nice leather OWB holster and double mag pouch too (probably basket weave).

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    This will be my semi-auto BBQ gun. I am going to get a nice leather OWB holster and double mag pouch too (probably basket weave).
    BASKET WEAVE? BASKET WEAVE?!

Listen man, as your friend, I'm going to strongly advise against that. If you carry a BHP in anything besides Floral Carved it has to be carried in an all natural, Rhodesian style rig.

But if you're set on basketweave call my boy Jason, the proprietor of VintageGunLeatherToday.com and tell him you need a HP BBQ rig and that RevolverRob sent you. There won't be a discount (in fact he may mark it up...) but he'll hook you up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Listen man, as your friend, I'm going to strongly advise against that. If you carry a BHP in anything besides Floral Carved it has to be carried in an all natural, Rhodesian style rig.

But if you're set on basketweave call my boy Jason, the proprietor of VintageGunLeatherToday.com and tell him you need a HP BBQ rig and that RevolverRob sent you. There won't be a discount (in fact he may mark it up...) but he'll hook you up.
    Alternatively,

https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/c...wning-hi-power

The flap helps keep the sauce off the pistol!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I am going with Floral Carved for my revolver rig. I will have to see what a Rhodesian style rig looks like.

Who makes a good Rhodesian styled holster? I have dome some googling, but it seems like there are a few makers who are "known" Rohdesian style but their books are closed. I might as well buy a holster, belt and mag carriers for a gun I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Who makes a good Rhodesian styled holster? I have dome some googling, but it seems like there are a few makers who are "known" Rohdesian style but their books are closed. I might as well buy a holster, belt and mag carriers for a gun I don't have.
    My current favorite is Rob Hipp. Thad Rykba is still making holsters, but you have to wait for them to pop up for sale on Milt Sparks' website. Milt Sparks is also making a Rhodesian-ish holster that's uncatalogued right now. I think they're calling it the "OM-1." I just received one for a Staccato P and it's quite nice.

What is a Rhodesian rig?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What is a Rhodesian rig?
    It's a very simple, yet well executed, holster design that's typically made out of one piece of folded, stitched and hand-boned leather. It takes up very little belt space and is typically very light. Thad Rykba is the main maker associated with the design, but there are several others that make it as well.

Here is link to a thread about them:
    https://www.1911forum.com/threads/th...others.892458/

It's a very simple, yet well executed, holster design that's typically made out of one piece of folded, stitched and hand-boned leather. It takes up very little belt space and is typically very light. Thad Rykba is the main maker associated with the design, but there are several others that make it as well.

Here is link to a thread about them:
    https://www.1911forum.com/threads/th...others.892458/
    Sounds similar to the DeSantis "mini scabbard". I typically use kydex, but I have a bunch of these for various Glocks; they're comfortable, the tension screw may be adjusted to taste, and they take up minimal real estate. I see that they make it for the P35.

https://www.desantisholster.com/mini-scabbard/

User Tag List