Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    The gain is an additional layer of security for the pistol.

For instance, at night before placing the hp on the night stand, the hammer is lowered to half cock and the safety engaged, now the pistol is disabled from being operated quickly unless someone knows this detail of the hp and yet with two movements of the thumb the hp will be ready for use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This strikes me as a cost/benefit analysis I can’t wrap my head around. In order to get the hammer to half-cock, you’d have to press the trigger on a loaded pistol and risk an ND. Who are you worried about grabbing your pistol off the nightstand while you sleep that you’d like to slow down by keeping the hammer at half-cock? Young kids? Home invaders? If children is the worry, a quick access lock box on the night stand would be a lot safer for everyone. If it’s home invaders getting to your nightstand before you wake up, you’ve got more severe problems with home security than how to set up your nightstand gun. If you’re just looking for a second movement to get the gun fireable, what about keeping it in a holster on the night stand? Then you’d have to remove the gun from the holster and deactivate the safety to fire it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

@Wondering Beard

Totally agree.

Leave it in a holster if it's cocked and locked. Otherwise leave it with a full magazine and empty chamber.

There is no reason to mess with the position of the hammer. If you do you are asking for trouble.

For instance, at night before placing the hp on the night stand, the hammer is lowered to half cock and the safety engaged, now the pistol is disabled from being operated quickly unless someone knows this detail of the hp and yet with two movements of the thumb the hp will be ready for use.

No. It's not an additional layer of safety, it's an additional layer of risk.
    As Kevin H said, there is no reason to lower the hammer on a SA pistol. I'll add, except to shoot the thing. And that's what you're risking every time you try to lower it. I know, somebody always says they've lowered their hammer every day for 164 years and never had a problem. Well, lucky them.

Triggers are for shooting the gun.
    Any time it's pulled for something else, it's cheating the system, and the system usually wins.

Now, if one must make the gun "safe" and doesn't have a lockbox, just unload it. I'd rather rack the slide than mess around with the hammer, or even insert a mag and rack.

Sounds like a good way to blast a hole in the fireplace.

I already did that with a marlin 444 so I think I'll pass.

Site Supporter
    Since this is a discussion of the hi power in great detail, I was simply documenting a method that the hi powers trigger and hammer can be immobilized. Then listed a possible example for the methods use.

I’ll leave the assessment of the information and it’s worth to the reader.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

There's a guy on one of the unmentionable places who claims that he carried a HP on duty for decades and the above was his preferred method of carry, because it would keep the bad guys from figuring out how to shoot him, if they got his gun.

I'm not saying that half-cock with the safety on is a good way to go, but you're not the only one to think that it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There's a guy on one of the unmentionable places who claims that he carried a HP on duty for decades and the above was his preferred method of carry, because it would keep the bad guys from figuring out how to shoot him, if they got his gun.

I'm not saying that half-cock with the safety on is a good way to go, but you're not the only one to think that it is.
    Let me first say that I do not carry a hi power or 1911 on half cock or a hp on half cock with the safety on. I carry those types of weapons fully cocked with the safety on. Cocked and locked.

I did in the past work at my agency with an old vet nam vet that carried on duty his bring back 1911 on half cock. He carried that 1911 despite all consultations against it.

I was sure the common methods (unloading, lock box, leaving in a holster, disassembled, ect...) of storage or securing a weapon are well known. My noting a detail of trivia about the hi power that may not be widely known was reason for my post in this dedicated hi power thread.

Site Supporter
    VZ Grips is running 20% of HP grips tonight with the code "HPHALLOWEEN". I think the code expires at midnight though.

Thanks for the coupon code. I bought a set to go along with the magazines for the gun I don't have yet. I got the ivory 320 set.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Thanks for the coupon code. I bought a set to go along with the magazines for the gun I don't have yet. I got the ivory 320 set.
    Bold! Be sure to post a pic when you get your pistol. I got hyena palm swell pro-slims in hyena brown, which is about as close to wood looking as I could get.

User Tag List