Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    KevH has said it all. Buy the book.
    I did, it came today. Mrs. Camp’s terrific to deal with.

Stephen Camp thought highly of the Buffer Technology recoil buffer. Has anyone used them?

I have...lifespan is measured in both time and rounds; they tend to harden and get brittle and disintegrate if you're not constantly bathing them in oil, or they shred and gum up the recoil spring assembly, locking block and tunnel in the slide if you shoot them longer than they can tolerate. I like the idea of buffering the slide and frame but the execution of it...not so much.

If you're using it constantly and don't mind swapping it out every 500-1000 rounds, and are on a schedule to do that every month or two, then it's probably a not bad upgrade honestly. If you shoot like me, where I'll spend a lot of time on one thing and every now and again break out the BHP so I can spend the first couple hundred rounds going "why don't I use this more often" and then the next couple going "Oh, right, THIS is why I don't use it more often"...either drop one in before you take it out and then junk it when you put it back in storage, or just shoot it without one..

YMMV of course

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I tried the Wilson Combat version of that part in a Beretta 96D because .40 + Beretta = frame cracks. Was having nose-down misfeeds on almost every round from about 4 through 8 left in the mag. Took the buffer out and no more problems. I believe the issue was a change in timing of the slide cycle due to shortening of the travel and returning the energy stored in the "spring" of the buffer as slide velocity rather than absorbing the energy as recoil with rearward frame velocity. Haven't investigated them further and don't intend to.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Mine arrived today, and I put them on my MkIII the minute I got home from work. I am very disappointed. The grips don't mate well with the backstrap and the spot circled in orange in the pic below comes to an extremely sharp point (both sides). Just gripping and dry firing the gun is unpleasant with them. I don't know if I got a "bad" pair or if this is just the way this model is. I'm torn between filing on them and checking into a refund. The sharp point that I circled seems like a design issue to me and not something that I should have to fix. I hope that yours don't have these problems!

Attachment 79423
    For as long as the Hi-Power has been made, there are slight variances. I would personally sand them to fit. I did do a little sanding on my set.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Stephen Camp thought highly of the Buffer Technology recoil buffer. Has anyone used them?
    I had the Wilson Combat version in a Springfield 1911 for a little while, but I didn't put enough rounds through to honestly test it. I think with the older Mk1 and Mk2 frames, the buffer makes some sense, but it seems like it would be less important with the more durable MkIII frames, and I presume the SA-35. I'm definitely not an expert, but that's how the story pieces together in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    For as long as the Hi-Power has been made, there are slight variances. I would personally sand them to fit. I did do a little sanding on my set.
    Well, I do have plenty of sand paper on hand...

I had to do the same on a pair I bought for one of my MKIIIs many moons ago. I used fine wet/dry sandpaper with WD40 and you couldn't tell they were ever "adjusted". It is a quick and easy fix.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    G10 definitely needs to be wet sanded, not dry. You don't want to be breathing that dust. And gloves are a pretty good idea, to keep the glass fibers and particles thereof out of your skin.

Once you're done, it likes to be saturated with oil. I use baby oil.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Any AIWB holsters of note?
    You want kydex or leather?

For leather the 5-Shot Leather SME is the heat. And is my favorite AIWB leather holster. John molds them so the thumb safety cannot come off for 1911s, I assume he does the same for the HP.

User Tag List