Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

A spin off out the now rapidly becoming epic Spingfield SA-35 thread.

Clearly we are about to experience a Renaissance of Grande Puissance and I felt we should build a thread with the same élan as The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running.

I, personally, know far less about the Hi-Power, having owned a single example in my life. But so far I can provide this piece of advice: Don't insert the recoil spring guide upside down and subsequently rack the slide, because you WILL crush the absolute fuck out of it.

Which brings me to my second piece of advice, you probably want a couple of spare recoil spring guides in your parts kit. Because it is very easy to do the above...

Otherwise, my only other tip is that I've found some sharp edges in slide releases that can cut you if you uses a thumbs-forward grip. So maybe stone those out.

I know Barsto makes semi-fit and match grade barrels for 9mm and .40 and a 9mm conversion for .40 frames. They do not recommend their .40 barrel be installed in 9mm guns. Something about, "Only do this if you want a two (or more) piece frame."

The reputation for hammer bite is well earned, especially with the ring hammer. I've seen a fair bit of advice as to how the judicious use of a file in various locations can make that less of a factor... I just went with the C&S No Bite hammer- which works.

I also added the C&S extended safety, which I like a lot better.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

99.9% of HiPower knowledge worth knowing was covered by the great Stephen A. Camp (RIP).

His site https://hipowersandhandguns.com is still alive thanks to Mrs. Camp as are his excellent reference books.

For those of you that aren't familiar with his work, he was a Texas police officer (and more importantly a great shooter and lover the HiPower) who carried P-35's on duty from the 1970's through the 1990's and ran them hard. I've owned three HiPowers in the past and currently own a MkII tuned by Don Williams. Nothing in my own experience has ever been contradictory to anything Mr. Camp wrote on them.

Anything I would list would be simply re-hashing things he already covered.

Didn't Hi Powers have problems with +P ammunition and handled regular ammo pressure better? if that was true, is that still the case with the new SA 35?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Didn't Hi Powers have problems with +P ammunition and handled regular ammo pressure better? if that was true, is that still the case with the new SA 35?
    https://hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPa...essureAmmo.htm

Thank you.

Then the question is: what recoil spring and mainspring does the SA 35 come with?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Replace the hi power magazine latch spring with an extra power 1911 magazine catch spring.

It will help stop accidental mag release with thin grips.

Chuck Warner used to make flat bottom firing pin stops. My search was unable to locate them. Hopefully he still makes them or maybe someone else will.

The alloy hi power used a smaller radius stop than the steel hp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Since the use of nato and +p ammo question is going to be asked, here are some informative threads about their use in the hp.

The good information starts at post 11.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/9mm-nato-bhp.496787/

Another good thread.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/9mm-nato-bhp.496787/

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm old and forgetful, but which model JM Custom holster would fit the HP with minimum modification?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    99.9% of HiPower knowledge worth knowing was covered by the great Stephen A. Camp (RIP).

His site https://hipowersandhandguns.com is still alive thanks to Mrs. Camp as are his excellent reference books.

For those of you that aren't familiar with his work, he was a Texas police officer (and more importantly a great shooter and lover the HiPower) who carried P-35's on duty from the 1970's through the 1990's and ran them hard. I've owned three HiPowers in the past and currently own a MkII tuned by Don Williams. Nothing in my own experience has ever been contradictory to anything Mr. Camp wrote on them.

Anything I would list would be simply re-hashing things he already covered.
    This. And Mrs. Camp is wonderful to deal with. Order the books they are excellent reference sources and a good read.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List