Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Care, Feeding, and Maintenance of La Grande Puissance (aka Hi-Power)

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    @JonInWA

Did you install the SFS yourself or did you have a gunsmith do the work? I am about 90% sure that I will be getting the SFS for my BHP (I want to shoot it without the SFS for a while first).
    I'll echo what Entropy said-using the 2 BH SS videos makes it a snap, easily done with minimal tools and skill foo. One suggestion: Use Mark's video on disassembly and removal of the OEM system, then switch to Slav's video for the actual installation of the SFS; Mark covers it too, but Slav's video is better for the installation portion.

Best, Jon

I've carried Hi Powers a fair amount, used one for a class at Gunsite many moons ago, etc. I always carried C&L, so never had more than a passing interest in the SFS. Glad it's available though for folks who prefer it. The more options, parts and pieces available for the Hi Power, the better IMHO.

FWIW, I did recently acquire a Springfield SA-35. I haven't hit the dreaded approx. 800 round mark yet, where extractor issues have been reported to begin, but thus far my completely stock example has demonstrated flawless reliability. I've now tested it with several different types of ammo, and several different magazines. Not a single malfunction to date.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is there a Kuhnhausen type shop manual for the Hi Power?

I found "Browning High Power Assembly, Disassembly Manual" on Amazon, but it is only 35 pages and it claims to cover a lot information.

Not really looking for a history book, although I will likely pick up "FN Browning Pistols Side Arms that Shaped World History - Expanded Third Edition -" when it is released.

There isn't, at least that I'm aware of. The best is to have a good assembly/disassembly guide (my fall-back is Wood's), Stephen Camp's laminated sheets are useful, (as is information on his site, hipowersandhandguns.com), and probably the most useful today atre the YouTube videos that BH Spring Solutions has posted, accessible from their site or YouTube directly.

I'm sure that FN/Browning has an Armorer's Manual, but I've never seen one.

Other than the trigger pins, High Powers aren't terribly difficult to disassemble and reassemble. Unless it concerns drop-in components (and BH Spring Solutions is great for theirs-not just individual components, but various assemblies), I'm gonna defer to a gunsmith.

Take your time, have the right tools (BH Spring Solutions and Brownells are your best bets), be patient, and go slowly.

Best, Jon

I just purchased the BH "master tool kit". I will watch the videos, but I like to have a non digital version of how to do things.

Always wished there had been a Mr. K book on the Hi Power. I do have a copy of an old HP Field Service Manual from many years ago.

Off-topic (squirrel!)-I wish there was a Kuhnhausen manual on the Ruger GP100 too. It's been alluded to, but I've never actually seen one...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    Always wished there had been a Mr. K book on the Hi Power. I do have a copy of an old HP Field Service Manual from many years ago.
    Rock185:

Would you be willing to provide some details (list of contents, publisher, copyright dates etc)of the Field Manual? Is it something that might be worth trying to acquire? I am a Hi Power fan and maintain reference manuals for the guns I use/carry. I have several of the Kuhnhausen manuals and wish Mr. Kuhnhausen had written one about the Hi Power.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Off-topic (squirrel!)-I wish there was a Kuhnhausen manual on the Ruger GP100 too. It's been alluded to, but I've never actually seen one...

Best, Jon
    JoninWA:

I have the Kuhnhausen manual for the Security Six series of guns and as I understand it, they pretty much cover most of the GP100 series. At least that was my understanding. Is there a significant difference for the GP100 series?

Thanks to both of you for your attention to my queries.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Hp field service manual

https://stephentaylorhistorian.files...ower_field.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one serialsolver linked to is the one I have.

User Tag List