Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find my dad a CC handgun

Help me find my dad a CC handgun

He carried a Sig 220 on duty for about 10 years. He was part of the team that went through the selection process to find a new duty weapon. He helped write the training program and was an instructor during his departments transition from a revolvers to the Sig 220. (They now carry Glock 21s) He went through Sig's armors school. He still owns a West German P220 that has thousands of rounds through it. Needless to say he's a huge Sig fan.

He's retired now but still qualifies with his Sig P220 every year through his former department to keep his CCL. The problem is he only carries it when the weather is colder because of the size and weight of the 220. He would really like to find something that he will carry year round. He prefers to carry IWB behind is strong side hip or OWB in the same place when clothing allows.

We've tried a few different pistols. Glock 23, 30, and 26. M&P Shield, a Springfield XD9, even a Kel-Tec PF9. None of them really got his attention.

Anybody have any ideas? He's leaning toward a 9mm and I think something with a similar feel to his P220 would seal the deal. He's also a big 1911 guy but he would rather stick with something that he doesn't have to tinker with to keep reliable.

While we're on the subject what Sig would work well for me in a AIWB carry? I'm starting to think about getting rid of the G30 in favor of something with a hammer on it for safety reasons.

As has been recently discussed in several threads here, I'd throw out the Sigpro SP2022 as a candidate; it's a SIG, and lighter due to its polymer frame, with a similar DA/SA action.

Best, Jon

Seems like the P239 or P229 or about to be released Sig M11 would be about ideal since he's so familiar with Sigs
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If he really likes the 1911s maybe the Sig 938? I'm just spit-balling, but its basically a P238 in 9mm. It seems to have the same basic set up as a 1911 and I can't imagine it needs much tinkering.
    I mostly bring it up because I've been looking at them lately and I'm intrigued.

It sounds like he appreciates ergonomic 45s, try an M&P 45c.

If it's too large then go to a pocket gun that he will carry everywhere, all the time. A 380 in the pocket beats a 45 at home...

I know that the Sig Pro wouldn't work for because of the trigger. We discussed pocket sized pistols. He has to qualify with anything he carries, it's serial numbered to his license, so he doesn't think a small pistol will work.

The 239 would be a good one to test. What about the 226? I've handled one so I'm unsure of the size and ergos.

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    I know that the Sig Pro wouldn't work for because of the trigger. We discussed pocket sized pistols. He has to qualify with anything he carries, it's serial numbered to his license, so he doesn't think a small pistol will work.

The 239 would be a good one to test. What about the 226? I've handled one so I'm unsure of the size and ergos.
    I've compared my 226 to my dad's 220 and they're about the same size. My 226 is also slightly heavier, at least with both unloaded.

Just to throw out some other pistols to try, Sig makes "Compact" and "Carry" versions of the 220. He may also like something like the HK P2000.

"It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

Would a nice 9mm P30 or P30L be something your dad would be willing to try?

I think the P30 would suit your father perfectly. 9mm. Available in DA/SA which your father is used to with the 220. HK reliable. 15rd cap. Try to find a local one to rent and give it a try. With 124gr mine feels like there's almost no recoil at all but I'm a big 45 guy anyways.

Goodluck

-DBLAction454

User Tag List