Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electricians got a question for you

Electricians got a question for you

I was just at both big box stores to get wiring to install two security lights on my pole barn. It's been a while since I bought any wire, prices have shot out of sight.

I'm zoned commercial so everything below the ceiling is supposed to be in conduit - the electrician who hooked up the meter and supply box managed to get that variance.

Since THNN single strand would cost me $1.03 a foot to run, I plan to run 'romex' in the conduit. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

What I found surprising was that 14/2 outdoor was about one third cheaper than 14/2 indoor: .57 a foot vs .81 a foot.

Other than the joy of stripping is there any other reason I shouldn't use outdoor wiring?

Thanks!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

@UNK is the dude for this. The guidance he has given me is outstanding, and has probably literally saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I was just at both big box stores to get wiring to install two security lights on my pole barn. It's been a while since I bought any wire, prices have shot out of sight.

I'm zoned commercial so everything below the ceiling is supposed to be in conduit - the electrician who hooked up the meter and supply box managed to get that variance.

Since THNN single strand would cost me $1.03 a foot to run, I plan to run 'romex' in the conduit. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

What I found surprising was that 14/2 outdoor was about one third cheaper than 14/2 indoor: .57 a foot vs .81 a foot.

Other than the joy of stripping is there any other reason I shouldn't use outdoor wiring?

Thanks!
    Are you saying strip the outer jacket and run the wires by them selves? Or are you pulling romex through conduit?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Are you saying strip the outer jacket and run the wires by them selves? Or are you pulling romex through conduit?
    Pulling romex through. I've always heard it was harder to separate the outdoor romex.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Not an electrician.

Googling around, there sees to be a diversity of opinion.

If the work will be inspected, ultimately the question is what the inspector will approve.

I had an unfinished basement, with bare concrete walls. In my location if I wanted romex running through the joists to terminate in a box on the concrete wall the inspectors wanted me to run conduit from the box up into the joist bay and strip the outer sheath off the romex from six inches or so inside the conduit down to the box - so a long winded way of saying they wouldn't allow sheathed romex in conduit in the general case.

If you strip the outer sheath, it seems like the question would be what kind of wire you get - is it an approved type like THHN or what?

I'd sure think pulling sheathed romex any distance would be a PITA.

Pulling romex through. I've always heard it was harder to separate the outdoor romex.
    First, I'm not an electrician. However, I'm confident you will find whatever money you save buying UF wire to strip to be terrible economy. I find it a pain in the ass just stripping the ends to connect the fixture. Three strands of THWN might cost a bit more but it will pull much easier. Maybe consider running 12 ga. and put an outlet at the pole? Not sure what sort of security light you're going with, but I saved right at $5 a month when swapped mine to LED. Good luck!

Ive only done industrial work so this is outside my area. Romex is romex indoor can only be used indoor I see no reason why outdoor couldn't be used indoor. The only exception is if the local authority having jurisdiction wont allow it for your area.
    My larger concern would be sizing the conduit and the actual pull itself especially if 90s were a involved. If there are 90s involved Id probably put pull points like conduit bodies or boxes.
    Have you looked at pricing on bx or mc vs conduit and wiring?
    Id defer to local authority having jurisdiction which would be the local inspector whether they work for the city or are contracted. They should be available to answer your question.

ETA What type lighting are you installing? Id set a box where you go to the light. Id install high temp wire and enclose the wiring in sealtite. Also inside the light housing I would use high temp wire nuts.
    Last edited by UNK; 10-27-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive only done industrial work so this is outside my area. Romex is romex indoor can only be used indoor I see no reason why outdoor couldn't be used indoor. The only exception is if the local authority having jurisdiction wont allow it for your area.
    My larger concern would be sizing the conduit and the actual pull itself especially if 90s were a involved. If there are 90s involved Id probably put pull points like conduit bodies or boxes.
    Have you looked at pricing on bx or mc vs conduit and wiring?
    Id defer to local authority having jurisdiction which would be the local the inspector whether they work for the city or are contracted. They should be available to answer your question.

ETA What type lighting are you installing?

I would suggest looking into MC armored cable also. Back when I was building for a living, the armored cable was always the cheaper route for my electrician to run. It isn't as neat and purty as conduit and should meet the requirements but as always, check with AHJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    @UNK is the dude for this. The guidance he has given me is outstanding, and has probably literally saved my life.
    Hey Cory, you see all the craziness involving truck drivers right now in Florida. $10000 sign on bonus and $100000 a year? Im thinking you are in Fla not sure though.

For what it's worth: When we did our remodel my BIL explained that sheathed romex inside conduit could cause heat buildup when under full load. Basically the sheath and the conduit created a nice thermal insulating dead air space which you didn't want, causing the wires to heat up and potentially short due to insulation damage. He was an ex-lineman who ended up doing CAD substation design and not a true electrician, but he always seemed to have his head around proper wiring solutions.

User Tag List