Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun day: more 9mm 1911s

New gun day: more 9mm 1911s

Name:  DC297BBE-D802-4BCE-AC44-C534A6A675D2.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  100.6 KB

Two more 9mm 1911s.
    Bought the pair for $1700 shipped.

There’s a saying about buying used race cars being better than building your own.

Same goes for race guns, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

Two more 9mm 1911s.

There’s a saying about buying used race cars being better than building your own.

Don't forget "cheaper by the dozen!"😁

Nice. I've used 45 ACP 1911's since I was twelve, but I'm about to go full in on 9mm ones.

I have a Staccato P DPO aluminum frame and an older Springfield Stainless Loaded Target on the way.

We'll see which one I like better and which one works best.

Hammertime

Two more 9mm 1911s.

Enjoy yourself but I ultimately decided 1911s (particularly in 9mm) weren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Nice. I've used 45 ACP 1911's since I was twelve, but I'm about to go full in on 9mm ones.

I have a Staccato P DPO aluminum frame and an older Springfield Stainless Loaded Target on the way.

We'll see which one I like better and which one works best.
    As former California residents we purchased five of the Springers, four for competition and one as a stock backup. The stock triggers are variable but that problem is easily addressed. With Cylinder and Slide ignition parts a 3 lb. trigger job should go 100K rounds. In perhaps 200K rounds passed through three of the guns we've busted one firing pin stop and one firing pin spring. Finish is not as nice as the two Kimbers we have, but these are tools. I don't have a Staccato P, but my "C" is a wonderful piece. Your Staccato will have a much better stock trigger and despite the lighter weight versus the Springer will probably have less recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Enjoy yourself but I ultimately decided 1911s (particularly in 9mm) weren't for me.
    They kind of serve no purpose except for class specific competition and range enjoyment.

My Open gun is SA with manual safety, so I thought I would move most competition platforms that way.

They kind of serve no purpose except for class specific competition and range enjoyment.

My Open gun is SA with manual safety, so I thought I would move most competition platforms that way.
    I love the 1911. In fact, I love it much more than any other gun.

I don't love carrying extra 230gr 45 ACP ammo (it's quite heavy), but am required to carry "at least 36 rounds of ammunition" on my person per policy.

I get all the 9mm ammo I want for free through work right now.

If I were retired and responsible for my own ammo, I would probably opt for 38 Super +P (one of my favorite calibers) or just stick with 45 ACP.

I don't love carrying extra 230gr 45 ACP ammo (it's quite heavy), but am required to carry "at least 36 rounds of ammunition" on my person per policy.

If I were retired and responsible for my own ammo, I would probably opt for 38 Super +P (one of my favorite calibers) or just stick with 45 ACP.
    Good point about magazine restricted states and duty

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what the difference would be with 36 rounds. I just factored the bullets too fwiw.
    10.2oz with 125gr
    12.1oz with 147gr
    18.9oz with 230gr

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what the difference would be with 36 rounds. I just factored the bullets too fwiw.
    10.2oz with 125gr
    12.1oz with 147gr
    18.9oz with 230gr
    The other factor for me is this:

I have to carry 36 rounds of ammo on me per policy.

45 ACP = 8 round magazines
    9 mm = 10 round magazines

I always carry a 5 shot J-frame as a backup gun.

45 ACP:
    Gun 8+1= 9
    3 Mags 8+8+8 = 24
    Backup=5
    Total=38 Rounds

9 mm:
    Gun 10+1 = 11
    2 Mags 10+10 = 20
    Backup=5
    Total=36 Rounds

If you weigh and compare a fully loaded Wilson mag of 230gr 45 ACP vs 124gr 9mm the difference is substantial.

For years I carried a quad mag pouch loaded with four Wilson 47D's. That thing is like a boat anchor and even mounted on your centerline carrying it every day for 12.5 or 15 hour shifts is no fun, especially if you're standing a lot.

So when you're talking about weight and space on a duty belt the difference between carrying 1+2 9mm mags vs either 3+1 or 4+1 45 ACP mags is huge.

User Tag List