Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol for storage/rust prevention?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Folks, on a blues steel slide-think old Colt style bluing-is there such a thing as “waxing”? My search revealed the brand “Renaissance Wax” and also suggested carnabua wax.
    Does anyone have any experience here please?
    I occasionally use the same can of Rennaisance Wax I've had for 20 years or so. Mostly on knife handles, (wood, antler, etc) moreso than on blades...and never on my guns...but I no longer have blue steel.

I use it very sparingly and even then it still needs a bit of buffing after application. Not my favorite because of the additional work required. Call me lazy. It is great for bringing a shine.

By the way, a master knife smith on bladeforums recommends using neutral shoe polish (the kind in the can)...as an inexpensive and highly effective alternative.

I can't speak to the corrosion resistance of Ren Wax or Neutral Shoe Polish as I've never used them for that specific reason and have never tested.

That said, I don't get rust or corrosion on my guns or knives stored indoors...and we get lots of rain and humidity...but I'm not in a high saline environment here in the mountains.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I use Renaissance Wax extensively on swords and knives. I also use it on firearms that rarely come out of the safe. It was developed in the museum community for just such presrvation efforts on artifacts. I find it works as advertised.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm in Gulf Coast humidity. I use Hornady One Shot cleaner/lube as the overall wipedown on most of my guns, and a whole lot of stuff that lives in the garage and is thus exposed to full humidity with full temperature swings. Works fairly well. None of my guns rust living in the house. The solvent is naptha, though, so it's definitely a well-ventilated-area application. And gloves.

Somewhere, there's a test online of a bunch of different cleaner/lubes done on sheet metal coupons. That's what turned me on to the Hornady. Frog Lube did OK, but not as well. I also don't like Frog Lube for long-term storage.

FireClean can cross link if left alone for a long time and glue an action together. It's a PITA to hammer/pry everything apart, solvent soak and brush the hardened FireClean out, and put it back together with a non-crappy lube like you should have in the first place.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have many carbon steel tools for working outdoors in my garage which suffers from the vagaries of heat, cold, wet here in our rainy county. My garages are not heated, cooled or otherwise ventilated.

None of my tools...scythe, saws, axes, knives, all of which are carbon steel, have oxidized...though mold / mildew is common on sheaths and such. I clean it off when it bugs me.

I will very occasionally put a light layer of mineral oil or Ballistol on the tools which will be sitting for a very long while. But most have received none, especially the scythe and other cutting or digging tools.

OP, I wouldn't overthink it if the guns will be stored with a modicum of attention to how and where they are put away. Common sense goes a long way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

If you can stand the smell then EEZOX is the best stuff I have found for storage.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I use Renaissance Wax extensively on swords and knives. I also use it on firearms that rarely come out of the safe. It was developed in the museum community for just such presrvation efforts on artifacts. I find it works as advertised.
    I've used Ren Wax before on some collectibles and it does work as advertised though application requires a bit of elbow grease. Given that the item in question is a Parkerized shotgun, I am unsure how much Ren Wax would be needed to cover the barrel, receiver, and tubular magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

OP, I wouldn't overthink it if the guns will be stored with a modicum of attention to how and where they are put away. Common sense goes a long way.
    I agree. He's had the good sense to store it in a drier section of his home (easier said than done when you live in a tropical climate) and despite the neglect, whatever corrosion was on the surface wiped off after letting CLP soak into the Parkerizing for a few minutes.

He didn't like the scent of Ballistol at all. I tested it on his bolt and he asked me where the foul stench was coming from. I reverted to Lucas CLP which he had no objections to so I'll just the Ballistol on my own stuff until the can runs dry. I'll admit that the smell takes some getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If you can stand the smell then EEZOX is the best stuff I have found for storage.
    Have heard about Eezox but have not seen it available here. After the Ballistol odor objection, I'd hesitate to try it for this specific use case.

Thanks for all the inputs. It's Lucas CLP for now and I'll see how it holds up in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Folks, on a blues steel slide-think old Colt style bluing-is there such a thing as “waxing”? My search revealed the brand “Renaissance Wax” and also suggested carnabua wax.
    Does anyone have any experience here please?

This was developed for the British museum and is the tits! My Father has quite and extensive and expensive collection of cutlery and I hipped him to this. He applies semi-annually to wood, steel and leather. Zero corrosion issues in 1000% humidity Georgia. Oil the internals and wax the externals, and you should be good.

If he’s not going to use it, I use the coated storage bags / sleeves.

They’re cheap and they don’t leave residue on the guns when you want to use them.

https://www.zerustproducts.com/produ...-storage-bags/

Hornady One Shot Cleaner/Dry Lube has good rust prevention.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-99901...dp/B007TNXGMK/
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

This stuff has no odor at all, I started using it after reading some article 10 years ago where it beat every other firearms rust preventative on the market in terms of rust prevention. I have had nothing but good things to say about it.

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-300038-...dp/B00631GWS4/

User Tag List