Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ballistol for storage/rust prevention?

I would strongly suggest you check into ACF-50, which has proven to be a reliable and safe corrosion inhibitor in many applications.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Folks, on a blues steel slide-think old Colt style bluing-is there such a thing as “waxing”? My search revealed the brand “Renaissance Wax” and also suggested carnabua wax.
    Renaissance Wax is what the military collectible community tends to use on arms, armor, medals, etc. It requires a bit of time to apply and buff, but it is highly regarded by people with high-end antiquities.

(It will not, however, stop "zinc pest" found on many zinc-based military items... I don't think anything can stop that, as the problem is sort of "baked into" the metal when the alloy is composed and melted before casting.)

Many knife people like Tuf-Glide and I know people who think it is fine for wiping down firearms, but I have never tried it on anything but knives.

Ballistol is, IMHO, better than nothing as a rust preventative, but that is about it. I does have many uses, but rust prevention isn't really one of them. I have had good luck with Slip 2000 EWL in short-term storage, but YMMV. RIG and the original Cosmoline were pretty good in their day, but I am not sure you can even get them anymore.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    RIG and the original Cosmoline were pretty good in their day, but I am not sure you can even get them anymore.
    https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/mil-...1796c-class-3/

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/produ...-3-oz-jar.html

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Cool! RIG used to be the gold standard for a lot of serious gun guys back in the day. One of the area gunsmiths used to push it to the locals who used their shotguns a few times a year and thought a drop of 3 in 1 oil or 30 weight motor oil rubbed into a thin film on the outside or cursorily ran down the bore would prevent their guns from rusting in whatever corner they stored them in. He had a little pyramid of boxes with the "toothpaste tube" of RIG inside them that never seemed to lose or gain a box.

There aren't many positives to aging out, but I guess one of them would be that I now have what is probably a "lifetime supply" - MY lifetime, at any rate - of cosmoline that I bought from Brownells when they still carried it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List