Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco is working on a smaller P'kal

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This is the original. Made for me by Fred Perrin while I was visiting with him in Paris. I didn't know he was making it, and he surprised me with it one day when we were out and about. I named it "Le Metro" at the time in honor of the Parisian subway system.

Attachment 83597
    Blues, Thanks for the history on this. I'll definitely be purchasing one once available. Any observations on the viability for EDC or your experiences with the pros/cons? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Blues, Thanks for the history on this. I'll definitely be purchasing one once available. Any observations on the viability for EDC or your experiences with the pros/cons? Thanks.
    I've carried mine as a neck knife and as a pocket knife with static cord. I've never used it as an EDC simply because it's more of a stealth knife for my purposes...and I don't carry it often.

By the way, that knife, (and the poor image), date back to the spring of 1999.

Not sure what the Spyderco version will be like and how much it will be the same or different.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    This is the original. Made for me by Fred Perrin while I was visiting with him in Paris. I didn't know he was making it, and he surprised me with it one day when we were out and about. I named it "Le Metro" at the time in honor of the Parisian subway system.

Attachment 83597
    Ça c’est cool.

Here’s a video of Fred Perrin talking about the design of the Street Bowie:
    https://youtu.be/sPWJ2CUZnW4

Site Supporter
    I've carried mine as a neck knife and as a pocket knife with static cord. I've never used it as an EDC simply because it's more of a stealth knife for my purposes...and I don't carry it often.

By the way, that knife, (and the poor image), date back to the spring of 1999.

Not sure what the Spyderco version will be like and how much it will be the same or different.
    I am curious about your thoughts and experience re: neck knives.

There have been times when a neck knife has been my most commonly carried fixed blade. However, I have not carried one for a long time because I doubted that I could access it quickly, and because the cord or ball chain was almost always at least somewhat visible. Although ball chain does not seem to raise questions, it does get noticed. People wonder why it is there even if they do not ask or do not immediately think neck knife.

However, since I spend my day sitting behind a desk, I thought you might have a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am curious about your thoughts and experience re: neck knives.

There have been times when a neck knife has been my most commonly carried fixed blade. However, I have not carried one for a long time because I doubted that I could access it quickly, and because the cord or ball chain was almost always at least somewhat visible. Although ball chain does not seem to raise questions, it does get noticed. People wonder why it is there even if they do not ask or do not immediately think neck knife.

However, since I spend my day sitting behind a desk, I thought you might have a different perspective.
    Bill, I got in the habit of carrying neck knives while working in South FL. It gave me a way to carry a fixed blade daily, in addition to the pocket knife that I normally carried. It was more of a belt and suspenders thing than it was for self-defense...but of course it could be called into duty at anytime.

Also, I normally wore my shirt outside my pants, so it was easy for me to reach for the knife from below if needed. The knives I normally carried were unobtrusive, so they didn't draw the eye. A bead chain on an LEO doesn't attract attention as people assume it might be a shield or some ID on it.

I don't carry a knife as a fighting tool, for the most part. I'd be more likely to strike someone with a closed folder than to open it and use it for cutting and stabbing.

It's not for everyone, but I love the little fixed blades for that purpose. I carry a Darrel Ralph neck knife pretty much every time I leave the house or walk the dog.

Saw the mini p’kal, mini yojimbo and subway at Blade Atl last year!,, I would get all 3 in a heart beat!

Attachment 83597
    That's going to leave a mark.

Ever think about carrying a snubbie J frame in a pocket holster? Or maybe you do, IDK.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-01-2022 at 10:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Saw the mini p’kal, mini yojimbo and subway at Blade Atl last year!,, I would get all 3 in a heart beat!
    Pictures?

Pics were not allowed. Sal, Eric and others kind of man the booth of prototypes. Your free to handle ask questions, but no photos. I was shocked they actually had my dream mini jimbo!! The Perrin Subway was smaller than the one pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    The Perrin Subway was smaller than the one pictured.
    This may give a better perspective of size...

Name:  subway bowie 1.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  54.7 KB

User Tag List