Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Shows’ Role in Gun Trafficking- Illinois/Missouri Indictment

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    *cough*KimmyFoxx*cough*
    Zing!

Gun Shows’ Role in Gun Trafficking- Illinois/Missouri Indictment

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If a buyer has to pass a background check for every purchase, does a high number of purchases in a year make them a person of interest? I honestly don’t know.
    Most likely, especially near high crime areas. Wasn’t there some hub bub about border states reporting multiple purchases a whine back. How many other programs out there that weren’t reported on??

The guy is a POS if he was knowingly selling to bangers or prohibited people. Wonder if the prosecution will deal with him if he rolls on a bunch of felons in possession. I’m thinking not so much in this case.

What could be the chances this guy is some domestic version of Fast and Furious?

The stats show that a large % of violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders. If any of these “sophisticated” DA’s and judges had any care for the communities they serve vs their political masters, they would be doing everything to get repeat offenders off of streets and into/under jails. Whatever it takes. Instead they are in many of the most violent areas simply playing revolving door circle jerking. Forgive me if my trust, belief or whatever is at an all time low.

The problem of violent thugs, while not possible to eliminate, can be far better managed if the folks in positions to manage would give a rats ass about the job they are hired for. Instead, crime is nothing but a political tool to gain more power by leveraging the fear it creates.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The problem here isn't the gun show, it's the individual dealing in firearms illegally, and across state lines. A problem further exacerbated by a state and prosecution that somehow refuses to enforce existing laws on straw purchasers and illegal dealers.

Buying into the narrative that its a 'gun show' loophole solves zero problems. It's a legal system loophole that is perpetuated by DA's and Feds that seem recalcitrant or even straight-up refusing to prosecute these cases.
    Everything bad about this situation is already a felony. Why isn't that being prosecuted?

Edit:

Another thought. Blaming the venue of the crime for the crime itself is absolutely fucking stupid. What's next? Blaming parking lots for auto burglary and auto theft? The venue that provides a criminal opportunity for criminal behavior is not what is at fault - it's the criminal's fault for engaging in criminal behavior.
    I'm not sure we're reading the same documents; I'm honestly not sure where you're getting some of this.

Nothing about the affidavit or press announcement "blames" gun shows. Gun shows were only mentioned tangentially and simply as a matter of fact as the place where one of the subjects was purchasing guns. In addition, the word "loophole", or anything portraying gunshows as a loophole, is not used anywhere in either the affadavit or press announcement.

And, as for this in particular:

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Everything bad about this situation is already a felony. Why isn't that being prosecuted?
    I'm not sure what you mean, it is being prosecuted. To be accurate, 4 individuals are being prosecuted as part of this thus far.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I'm not going to say that 71 YO guy is in any way right in what he is doing but look at this from another angle.

The government is failing at criminal rehab. They keep the market going by slapping the hands of the gang bangers and putting them back on the streets.

If they are too dangerous to have a gun then they should be locked up. When you have 75% of murders and assaults committed by felons, you have other problems besides guns.
    Criminal rehab is bullshit but the govt is failing at punishment too. It's the classic weak men make hard times cycle.

"If they are too dangerous to have a gun then they should be locked up." is simply feel good horseshit. First, jail space is an expensive and finite resource. Second, felons are prohibited for the same reason they are excluded from certain professions: because they have a history of seriously poor impulse control and / or making seriously bad decisions and thus are not good candidates for making life or death decisions.

Now if you want to argue that too many low level offenses have been made felonies, largely due to under punishment of misdemeanors, you might be onto something.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If a buyer has to pass a background check for every purchase, does a high number of purchases in a year make them a person of interest? I honestly don’t know.
    Possibly. But the nature and timing are factors too.

Are they buying multiple guns at once ?

Are they buying multiples of the same guns or a whole bunch of different or slightly different guns ?

A guy buying 20 identical WASR AKs would be of more interest than a guy buying 20 different AK variants.

Are they buying multiples of the same gun but spreading it among different dealers ?

Do they seem have the means / disposable income to support the purchases ? How many 20 year olds can afford to buy a $10k Barret or semi auto belt fed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not sure we're reading the same documents; I'm honestly not sure where you're getting some of this.

Nothing about the affidavit or press announcement "blames" gun shows. Gun shows were only mentioned tangentially and simply as a matter of fact as the place where one of the subjects was purchasing guns. In addition, the word "loophole", or anything portraying gunshows as a loophole, is not used anywhere in either the affadavit or press announcement.

I'm not sure what you mean, it is being prosecuted. To be accurate, 4 individuals are being prosecuted as part of this thus far.
    This ^^^

Like "lie and try" cases, knowing someone is straw purchasing is one thing, but proving it in court is resource intensive and IMHO the sentences typically handed down for straw purchasers far too lenient given the damage they do to the community. Since resources are finite, they are focused on the most egregious cases like one in the OP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Apologies, and a fair point to be confused. I'm speaking generally about how these cases are presented, with an excessive and inaccurate focus on the 'gun show' itself instead of the criminal actors involved. Much as the difference in narrative between "hi cap" magazines and "standard capacity" magazines, we need to be better culturally about how we talk about this stuff.
    Even the thread title here was focusing far too much on the 'gun show' and not the total situation at hand. I'm largely reacting to that, honestly.

I'm delighted this asshole is getting prosecuted, but far too many go without prosecution. I totally see @HCM's point about finite resources available to prosecute, and that's reality.
    But I take issue with anyone who'd use that as an excuse to support laws that cut deeply into Constitutional rights, such as the banning of private sales.
    Typical outcomes from an underfunded and deeply flawed legal system should create focus on solving those problems in the legal system itself, it shouldn't be used to empower lawmakers to write fundamentally unjust laws.
    Coming back around to realistic possible outcomes, though, I know that's all just rambling from the chains of a gulag.

User Tag List