Thread: My Name - Korean police revolvers

Site Supporter

My Name - Korean police revolvers

Watching on Netflix a Korean police show - My Name. Pretty interesting. My question for those who know is about the handguns the police carry. It seems that issue gun is an SW pattern Revolver with a short barrel. That seems kind of retro but the show is in modern times as there are computers, cell phones, etc.

Any ideas?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I hate linking to this source, but here's an article about the 360J that might point you in a useful direction.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...vice-revolver/

I know, Korea is not Japan, but maybe that or something like it is what they're using.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Wikipedia says they use a S&W Model 60. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...Korea)#Weapons

I watched the series. Most of the revolvers were modern Model 60s with 3-inch barrels, internal locks, and the factory RB synthetic grip with finger grooves.

The gun that was subjected to forensics was also a Smith, but not a Model 60. The funny part was when they did the animation where the filed off serial numbers emerge, the brand on the frame said Taurus. :-)

From the little that I know, police forces in Japan and Korea still use small frame revolvers. Singapore used Taurus 85s with Crimson Trace grips until they decided to transition to the G5 G19 fairly recently. Special units in these police forces were usually issued a semi-auto.

Site Supporter
    Yes, clearly later on the newer guns where Model 60s. You can see the newer style cylinder release as compared to the old square one. I've read about the Japanese guns, never saw one but would be tempted as just because gun.

It's funny that they carry 5 shot guns and no reloads that I saw. The 5 is enough theme is an important plot point towards the end.

I loved the show. I usually think the super H2H woman star kicking the crap out of men is silly but in this show, the star fights with such rage and intensity that you can believe it. Much better than the usual female assassin shtick. She did her own stunts, I've read.

The Koreans are doing some great shows. Last Train to Busan was a great zombie flick, far superior to the Walking Dead Crap. Also Kingdom, a medieval zombie flic, was also pretty good. Interesting use of matchlocks in it.

As an aside, a Korean restaurant in San Antonio, did a great sizzling squid platter. Hot and tasty. I'm hankering for it.

Operation Chromite was an excellent S. Korean made movie. It dealt with S. Korean soldier disguised as N. Koreans, trying to gather intelligence about the battle of Inchon. Well with watching!

Tae Guk Gi is an excellent film as well.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It's funny that they carry 5 shot guns and no reloads that I saw. The 5 is enough theme is an important plot point towards the end.
    The S&W Model 60 is also stated to be the gun of the South Korean police in Squid Game. However, the actual prop guns were 6-shot K-frames.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Squid_Game

It's been almost 30 years since I was in the ROK. I remember the traffic cops wearing white bus driver hats, no handgun. ROKAF Cops on the gate at K-2 (Taegu Air Base) had revolvers on the hip, and two M-60s under camo netting in front of the gate shack.

User Tag List