Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rethinking my Wife's HD gun

I have been a fan of lasers for a long time and have them on quite few of our guns. My only dot experience has been a on a Buckmark .22. A year ago I shot my first night idpa match w/ a combination laser and light. That experience had me putting lights on our bedroom guns. All the guys I shoot with who have dots mention that it does take a while to get good at finding the dot. So, since your wife may not shoot enough to get to that level w/ a dot, I would put a laser and light on the 9mm 1911 and I'd look into whether she would be OK w/ the size of a 2011 grip. I have this on the idpa gun; a slight disadvantage is the need to manually switch it on
    https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...0.html#start=1
    these fit a 1911 and come on as soon as you pick up the gun but no light
    https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...ts/lasergrips/

Since you're asking for feedback "on your thought process," I'll give you the same advice I give everyone who asks about a HD gun: you're looking at this problem the wrong way.

The solution is not what HD gun should I get, but rather preventing a home invasion to begin with by hardening your perimeter. The last thing we want is a CQB gun fight against multiple armed intruders inside our house.

That means impact windows and doors with breach resistant frames and hinges along with commercial grade extra long dead bolts. This buys you 30 to 45 minutes against mechanical breaching unless the intruders have a K-12 saw or explosive breaching capabilities (ballistic breaching will depend on the doors, hinges and frames).

If you have the funds, then replace all your windows and doors with hurricane rated (Miami-Dade county spec) items.

If you don't have the funds, then have 3M security film installed on your windows and spend the rest of the money on reinforced doors, frames, and locks.

Now if for some reason you don't follow this advice or the intruders do arrive with that K-12 saw, then my firearms advice is a suppressed 5.56 SBR with a great WML or NODS/laser. If that's too much gun then use a suppressed pistol with a WML. Remember too to create an "area of denial" within your planning which means you want to "solve the problem" in an open area with you behind cover, not wait until they breach your safe room. Finally, don't forget about the possibility of arson while you're inside.

User Tag List