Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powder for .38 wadcutter loads

I have been using Red Dot for .38 Wad Cutters for decades.

Bob

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    231 it is.

Brownells has it in stock. Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't even plan on shooting it. I'm just filling ammo cans for my kids.

I normally get my bullets from rimrock but I think I want to try coated bullets this time
    3.1 grains should be a factory duplication load.

Good call on going with coated bullets. I recently switched myself and they’re a lot easier to handle while loading and smoke less when shooting. I haven’t noticed any difference in accuracy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    3.1 grains should be a factory duplication load.

Good call on going with coated bullets. I recently switched myself and they’re a lot easier to handle while loading and smoke less when shooting. I haven’t noticed any difference in accuracy.
    Are you using DEWC?
    What brand are you using?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Are you using DEWC?
    What brand are you using?
    I haven’t loaded these in a while, just going from memory. I’ve had good luck with Brazos Bullets, though I haven’t tried their wadcutters.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    231 it is.

Brownells has it in stock. Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't even plan on shooting it. I'm just filling ammo cans for my kids.

I normally get my bullets from rimrock but I think I want to try coated bullets this time
    03RN:

I just started powder coating cast bullets and the early results are promising. Essentially you get he benefits of jacketed/plated bullets for less expense. I am not seeing any downsides so far.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

With HBWC I've used Bullseye and W231. Not long ago I tried BE-86 with coated DEWC for a mid-range load in both 38sp seated flush and 38SC seated long and it worked well enough to deserve some follow-up.

Site Supporter
    I had excellent results recently with Bayou Bullets 138 grain button nose wadcutters (solid base) seated to crimp in the crimp groove over 2.7 grains of Red Dot. Grouped well in everything and was pleasant in airweights.

Shooters World Clean Shot (I believe it’s aka Lovex D032.)

It’s a ball powder that’s about a grain-for-grain substitute for BE and has given me great accuracy behind .38 WCs

User Tag List