Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder for .38 wadcutter loads

Powder for .38 wadcutter loads

I know the go to is bullseye but let's go with what's available.

What are a few more wadcutter friendly powders?

WST works well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I use W-231 for my wadcutter loads. Seems accurate, if not exactly clean with loads around 3.0gr under a HBWC. The few DEWC loads i've tried so far, loaded a little hotter (3.5ish) seem to burn a little cleaner.

I think Unique might be okay, particularly if you are going for more of a "full charge" wadcutter load, but I have not used it myself.

Site Supporter
    I usually do use Bullseye, and just bought another pound - for a touch over $30. They also had an 8# canister. I decided that I could not justify that at this time (would have been pushing $250), but fear that I may come to regret not grabbing one.

Clays works very well. Trail Boss, Unique, and others should work fine.

Site Supporter
    Just FYI, 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a Zero DEWC chronographed within about 5 fps of Federal Gold Medal Match.

If I were looking for a dedicated wadcutter powder, I'd try Sport Pistol. I haven't used it, but it's supposedly cooler- and cleaner-burning than traditional picks while being about the same burn rate.

Bullseye is the classic, but the other options work fine too. I used 231 or WST back when I reloaded.

At one point a local club had a candle pin shoot (only in Massachusetts) where a hard cast DE wadcutter in a magnum case with a healthy dose of Unique worked wonders.

I have used W231 or HP38 ever since my old CH proved unable to reliably deliver a light load of the 700X I was buying by the keg for trap loads.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have always used Bullseye as my go-to fast powder, but lately I think I'm going to standardize on Accurate powders for all things pistol. AA#2 should do very nicely for .38.

Hercules/Alliant Red Dot or its cheaper cousin Promo.

Red Dot is my all time favorite pistol powder. It works well for 9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP. It's a nice fast powder.

User Tag List